FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using a mobile phone abroad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jonno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using a mobile phone abroad?
    Posted: 01 February 2009 at 16:18

I need abit of advice, this season im working in France and want to use my Mobile to call home Ect, anyways any advice on whats the next step? (ie. do i buy a sim card in england or wait till im abroad?)  or speak to my phone company about Pay As You Go abroad? ECT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PeteCoteDaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteCoteDaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 16:23
but a french sim card abroad, get a french phone number. you can pick one up for 20-30 euros. but would only recommend that for texting uk numbers, if your going to be phoning its still going to be quite expensive. most people still just use payphones for actual phone calls.
brummie_keycamp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brummie_keycamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 16:40
if you can get your parents to call the payphones via this number - 08448617878 and then quote the number of the phone box they are calling, either that or buy a french phone 40 euros u can pick one up for

then parents can call the phone via that number again!!
it costs the parents 1p per minute to a phone box
and 10p per minute to french mobiles...bish bash bosh!!!!
gillr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gillr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 16:40
I'm with O2 (pay as you go) and have a bolt on at £10 per month. I use my phone to phone and text when abroad and it also doesn't cost to receive calls. Call rates on O2 web site.
I was pleased with it last year.
SmileSmileSmile
AC78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 17:21
buy a french mobile and use that.... or stick to phone cards and speak rather than text everyone....
Accident Prone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 18:25
buy a french phone. evev if you run out of credit ppl can still ring you if you.
stephnstars View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephnstars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 22:15
Originally posted by brummie_keycamp brummie_keycamp wrote:

if you can get your parents to call the payphones via this number - 08448617878 and then quote the number of the phone box they are calling, either that or buy a french phone 40 euros u can pick one up for

then parents can call the phone via that number again!!
it costs the parents 1p per minute to a phone box
and 10p per minute to french mobiles...bish bash bosh!!!!

haha baby i never knew about that number thing and quoting a phone box number i just usually looked for the phone box's personal number and told my parents to call that :P
pravesna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pravesna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 06:46
Originally posted by Jonno Jonno wrote:

I need abit of advice, this season im working in France and want to use my Mobile to call home Ect, anyways any advice on whats the next step? (ie. do i buy a sim card in england or wait till im abroad?)  or speak to my phone company about Pay As You Go abroad? ECT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want to use your mobile  in England ? If yes, unlock your mobile from carrier lock and use it in England . You can unlock your mobile by using unlock code .

Source :  Simpleunlocking.com

Edited by pravesna - 30 August 2013 at 06:47
Coleco82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coleco82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2013 at 15:03
Where are the Mods on this site?
joo_joo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joo_joo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 21:26
I advise you to buy an international calling card. anywhere in the world to call it cheap and convenient, there can be multiple phone numbers to install and manage through the site. I use this service  You can also find other in Google.
foois View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 15:05
Check the most wide-spread mobile provider in the area you are going to. You can find information on the Internet using a zip code. I usually check the postal codes here https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/florida/miami. Then check the cost for the available plans. If you are buying a new SIM card, there can be a good discount for the plan for the first month. Actually, there are many options for affordable international calls.

Edited by foois - 28 December 2019 at 16:40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic