FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crystal Interview/Assessment day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
harry_lakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry_lakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crystal Interview/Assessment day
    Posted: 24 May 2009 at 13:26

Hello everyone. I have applied to work with crystal for a season and have been accepted for an interview day. I wasnt worried about it until i realised that it is 7 and 1/2 hours long with no information about the day... What is going on there?!

So i looked for information about past assessment days and they said there was a presentation, group based assessments and other things to do. Any information about what presentation i have to do or anything else about the day would be great because i only have a forum from 2007 to go by.

Thanks in advance,
Harry.
sc1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 20:37

Which assessment day are you goin to? and wot role u applying for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry_lakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 13:30
on the 23rd july and applying for chalet host

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry_lakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 14:17

sorry its actually on the 7th July and chalet host. I understand we have to make a cake and do a presentation on it for one minute... and we have to do a menu planner

is that the 10 day menu plan or something else?

sc1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 21:47
ahh mines for childcare roles, on 3rd june. we have to make a childs mobile!!! lol. so sorry dnt know much about the role ur applying for.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry_lakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 08:08
a childs mobile? seriously?? hmm. well good luck for wednesday! and thanks anyway.
dietzj123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzj123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 20:19
I have recently been to the assesment day up in Newcastle, its fairly straight forward if you are confident. The day is set out very basically. There is a 20-30 minute introduction with video and an introduction to some of the Crystal staff who will take you for your interviews at the end of the day.

After the intro's you be asked to do your small presentation, there was 20 people at ours so nothing to worry about, after you have trilled everyone with your 1 minute thingy you'll be split into groups to do the task which is easy, its about putting certain things in order of relevance, you do it on your own then discuss it with your group.

After that you'll go for a short break and then get called back, if you have been sucessful you be asked to stay, the others are sent home. Once sucessful you have to do another daft task then you go for lunch.

After lunch you have to do a maths test and a food hygene test which are both really easy so dont worry, its just about calculating peoples room bills for food, drink and extras!

Once thats done you talk about the package you will be offered if your sucessful. The you go for a 20 minute interview. The people the take them are really down to eart so dont worry its really informal.

Other than doing it for you I cant do much more, all the best!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry_lakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 19:32
Thank you so much for the reply Big%20smile really helps, but i was also wondering what menu plan you have to make. Is it just the dishes for everyday of the week?

Thanks so much!
Harry
dietzj123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzj123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 21:09
Im not to sure about the menu plan as I had to do a different topic but from the people I spoke to that were doing it and what I saw, it was important to use the same ingredients throughout the week in different courses on different days so your not buying loads of ingredients at the supermarkets and things are less likely to go off. One girl for example did a goats cheese tart with red onion chutney, the she used the onions in her roast veg. Just things like that.

They did each day and had basic ingredients details. Not to fancy just showing that you have an idea, dont make it to complicated! 
dietzj123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzj123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 21:32
This should help you out harry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry_lakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 23:35
Thanks very much, i really appreciate the help! hope you were alright at your day :)
dietzj123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzj123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 14:42
Yer i got offered the job afew days later. Can wait until the start of the season now! All the best!
snobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 15:25
ez harry_lakin, just the info i was after!
where did you find that a menu plan is needed, I thought that was just for the chef role...
got my chalet host assessment on 1st july... good luck for yours, which resort do you want?
Katiepotatey88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiepotatey88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 08:24
Hi! Would you mind telling me how many days it took for them to get back to you after your assessment day? The suspense is killing me, I just want to know!! Thanks Smile
snobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 13:09
My partner got the job via a phone call today so they took almost a week.
dietzj123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzj123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 13:33
My interview was on a tuesday and I got a call on the friday morning so i wouldnt think it will be too long!
katieelouise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katieelouise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 02:00
Hi, i know this is random seems as you posted this in 2009 lol! but i have an interview with crystal ski and i have to make a childs mobile too, im so stuck for any kinds of ideas what sort of thing did you make and talk about ? the description of what to do is so brief i just dont want to get it wrong! 
Thanks 
:) x
hannahwheaty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannahwheaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 17:35
I've applied for the Pepi Nanny, childcare role, and I have an assessment day on the 30th, I was just wondering if anyone had any idea about what will happen on the day, and how I make a children's mobile!!?? Smile xx
Compasskid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compasskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 13:37
Since this thread is a little dated now I thought I'd give an update on 2015/2016 applications:

So this is how the day went for me,

- Crystal staff presentation, the staff all introduce themselves talk about their careers with crystal/TUI and some of the experiences they've had, they talk about the role (in my case chalet host), and they show some videos on the company.

-The staff go to do some admin, and people are called out to give national insurance, passport, bank details etc, so make sure you have a photocopy of each of these, as they don't make that entirely clear in the email. Meanwhile, the rest of the group (around 40/50 applicants) are left to play ice breaker bingo, where you have to walk around and learn snippets of info and get to know everyone. Really make the effort here, learn peoples names, be outgoing, getting friendly with people will make the day go easier, and ease your presentation nerves.

-THE DREADED presentation, this is where the spotlight is on you and its your chance to really show the interviewers what you can do, they want personality, enthusiasm, and energy. Do your research, plan it on a resort, make it interactive if you want to, the other applicants will answer your questions if needed. PRACTICE it at least 100 times, know it off by heart so that nothing can phase you on the day, if you get the chance practice in front of someone and get feedback (as embarrassing as it may be, it'll calm your nerves in a huge way). You'll either be broken up into small groups or you may have to present in front of the whole room, so prepare, there are some fantastic youtube videos from over zealous americans that give great presentations tips, from body language, to the inflection of your voice, really handy. (Please don't bring a powerpoint)

-Priority test/discussion, you'll be given a list of things you have to do, whilst hosting, on change over day, you have to prioritise these and place them in order of how you'd complete them, once this is done, you and your group have a discussion about why and then together you agree on an order that everyone agrees with. Be calm, funny and friendly, they're looking for sensible answers and a personable attitude.

-Social Media test, you're given a sheet with 4 photos on and you must write tweets that give customers information in a fun informative way. READ the task carefully, lots of people treated this as a joke because of the pictures and they got sent home at lunch.

- Speed interview, you get called out to have a super quick friendly interview with one of the staff, questions like 'why do you want to be a chalet host?' 'why crystal?' 'what will be your biggest challenge?' 'tell me about your cooking experience'. Very easy, and you're on a high from smashing the presentation by then, hopefully.....

- Cookery test, basic cookery written test, brush up on gluten free baking, vegetarian and vegan meals, how to make a Victoria sponge, an omelette and just basic cookery. Buying a chalet cookbook could maybe help, but i think as long as you study the above you'll be fine.

-LUNCH.... or purgatory for the budding seasonnaire. This is an hour where they will review all the tasks you've done so far and decide who makes it back for the afternoon session. 
Eat something, you'll be nervous but you need energy and some water to get focussed for the next phase.

- Half of your new friends will be sent home, its all very reality TV show, but keep your head and get prepped for.....

-Roleplay, you'll be brought into a room by an assessor who will watch and make notes on how you deal with a disgruntled customer (or another staff member in this case), so keep calm, listen to the customers problem and come up with a solution, maybe solve the problem and offer some free wine or an extra special cake for tomorrows afternoon tea. Not too hard this, so don't worry, take your time and stay in character.

-Staff go through some more about the job in a presentation, vibe gets way more chilled and you get to ask questions and start deciding where you want to be stationed if successful, they'll tell you about travel and pay, and get you all really psyched up.

-LASTLY, Competency based interview. A longer interview with one member of staff whereby you must answer questions with relevant evidence to show, well, your competence. For example, times you've worked in a team, worked by yourself, worked with another department, cooking experience. Then they ask if you have any questions, make the most of this, ask about where they like to ski, where is good to live, show your enthusiasm and make the most of having an interesting seasoned worker in front of you. Then you get to decided where you want to be stationed if successful (you can pick a few, for backup), whether you want to work solo, dual or in a group, and a few last details.

-Your done, shake hands, keep eye contact, smile and remember peoples names by using them! 

GOOD LUCK, and practice that presentation 100 times

See you on the slopes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic