Ever wanted to work as a Jackeroo in the Australian Outback? Here’s your opportunity, Oyster offers a comprehensive farm training course that will get you up to speed with all the skills you need to make sure you are well prepared for working safely in the bush. What is more is that on completion of the programme you are guaranteed a paid job!
You will live and work in rural Australia for up to 12 months in jobs including farm work, horse work, outback hospitality and domestic and childcare roles. The wage you earn will ensure you can afford to extend your stay and visit all the fantastic places that this beautiful country has to offer. Chose to take just one job for a minimum of approximately three months to fund your travels, or come back to us for subsequent work after a little holiday.
What will I be doing?
Following a few days of rest and recuperation and visiting some of the hotspots in the beautiful tourist destination of Noosa, you will be transported to the training farm to begin your introductory course.
The induction and training will give you the confidence and knowledge that you need to make a good impression on your employers, learn how to work safely and acclimatize to the Aussie conditions. You will have the chance to experience horse riding, motor biking, mustering cattle, working with cattle in the yards, drive a tractor, use a chainsaw and pick up fencing techniques.
You will need to be prepared to work hard in challenging locations and deal with the heat and pressures that come with outdoor work in this tough environment. Communities are small and you’ll get to know everyone fast. Enjoy sitting out in the evenings with cans of beer under the stars. You’ll get to witness the real Australia and the real people that live and work there. A once in a lifetime opportunity that will make you tougher, more independent and a different person on your return to your home country.
Where in Australia?
You will fly into Brisbane and will be met at the airport to transfer up to Noosa at the top of the Sunshine coast. After a few days you will then transfer 2hours west and inland to the training farms. Following the training week, the team will assist you with booking transport to your job which could be anywhere in Australia.
What do I get for my money?
To participate in the programme there is a charge of £1393, this includes:
- Guaranteed paid work – around £700 per month
- UK interview and briefing, support throughout
- Visa advice before departure
- (Optional) Help in finding a return flight to Brisbane with full financial ATOL protection
- In-country support throughout your 12month membership
- Meet and greet at Brisbane Airport and a shuttle transfer to Noosa
- 4 hostel nights in Noosa and advice on tourist activities such as trips to Fraser Island
- Transfer to the training farm from Noosa
- A full training programme with exciting activities, 5nights accommodation and 3 meals per day
- A work hat, t-shirt and water bottle and access to the farm shop for other work essentials
- Help in organising a tax file number, bank account, medicare card and mobile phone
- Help with finding your guaranteed job and all your travel to the location booked for you (separate cost)
- Accommodation, food and a wage at your work place
- Support and advice in-country with a free 24/7 emergency phone number
To be eligible, you need a Working Holiday Visa or Work and Holidayvisa that is available for passport holders from many reciprocal countries. You must be aged between 18-30 (There are plans to extend this to 35 from 2017 onwards). You also need to be able to speak English and be capable of working hard.