If you are a doctor or nurse, or are interested in studying medicine, the health clinic in the Urubamba Province of Peru needs your help!
The clinic tends to about 7,000 people in the surrounding communities, providing basic healthcare and first aid. Get hands-on experience with medical procedures, while experiencing and overcoming the serious challenges that isolated medical clinics must face on a day-to-day basis. Through your work in a widely impoverished, agriculturally-based community you will gain a profound understanding of medical issues in developing countries - a perspective you can't gain anywhere else.
As the project’s location is in the Andes and 85% of the population speak Quechua as a native language, you will also get a true taste of traditional Andean life in South America!
Typical project work includes:
- Attending to hospitalized patients (serving meals, etc.), the elderly, and children.
- Working in different areas, including dentistry, midwifery, pharmacy and/or laboratory, and the health clinic.
- Assisting clinic nurses in their daily tasks.
- Preparing and cleaning medical materials and equipment.
- Daily administrative tasks.
- Project monitoring and reporting.
Join us for a life-changing experience in an Peruvian health clinic, where you will vastly improve your Spanish skills, work in the breathtaking landscape of the Andes, and gain an understanding of a new side of South America.