The Teaching English in Chile programme is one of our the best and longest running projects. It's particularly popular with volunteers looking to improve/learn Spanish
Based in south Chile, Coyhaique is a remote city, a fantastic base to explore the sorrounding area.
If you are looking to improve your Spainish, living in a Spanish speaking country is the best way to do this. The project will start with 3 days of planned activities to help you adjust to the Chilean way of life and meet some of the locals before moving in with your host family. The activities we arrange include rafting, cooking classes and lesson planning. During your time in Chile, you will have conversational Spanish sessions once a week for 30 minutes.
Teaching or Sports coaching in Chile
English is important for the locals and is important to their local economy so children and very keen to learn which makes the Teaching English in Chile project an exciting, rewarding one. Volunteers help in a number of primary and secondary schools in a friendly town in Chile which has a population of around 60,000.
- Teaching: Teaching English abroad in local schools across Coyhaique.
- Sports coaching: By sports coaching you can make the expereince of learning English fun and not just for in the classroom.
Living with a host family
Previous volunteers say that living with the host family was the highlight of their experience in Chile, by spending your time living like a local you will expereince what it is truly like to live in Chile. Lots of the host families host Oyster volunteers each year.
Learning or improving your Spanish is one of the highlights of this expereince and by living in this Spanish speaking country you will do this without a doubt!
Most volunteers arrive here with at least a basic knowledge of Spanish. Get in touch to find out if your level of Spanish is enough. We provide conversational classes which can be tailored to your needs.
You will receive a 30 minute conversational Spanish class each week during your stay.
You would be based in Coyhaique where there are plenty of restaurants and cafes which are surrounded by mountains and national park. After the project ends many of our volunteers travel down to the Torres del Paine National Park to go trekking, rafting, glacier hiking! Our reps will help plan your trip.
- Volunteers live with a host family on their own (there will be other Oyster volunteers will be very close by)
- Each volunteer will have their own room in the host family home but should expect to share a bathroom.
- You will be treated as one of the family but will be welcome to come and go as you please.
- Houses are made from a simple wood construction, a single story.
- Your host family will provide 3 meals a day which is normally breakfast, a large lunch and smaller dinner (you will live the Chilean way).