NO MORE VACANIES FOR WINTER 2022/2023 - PLEASE ENQUIRE OR BOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING SEASONS
Gain a qualification, earn money and enjoy the instructor lifestyle in Whistler Blackcomb
Want to spend your gap year skiing in the beautiful, snowy mountains of Canada? Oyster offers you the opportunity to earn a CSIA ski instructor qualification, a good wage and some impressive experience in one of the world’s top ski resorts, followed by a season long instructor job.
This is the ultimate programme if you are a ski enthusiast wanting to improve your skills, get work experience with a responsible job, earn money and meet likeminded people, while being fully supported throughout by our representatives in Whistler and in the UK.
You will receive 3 weeks of training from Level 4 instructors. The first 2 weeks will be spent learning and improving all the techniques needed to pass your CSIA Level 1 Instructor examination, receive all of your job training and get to know the mountains you will call home for the next 5 months. The 3rd week is examination week where you will complete the CSIA Level 1 exam. On successful completion of the course, you will then be eligible for employment by Whistler Kids – the resort’s kids ski school.
Whilst we cannot guarantee that you will pass the course and get a job, we have a 98% success rate of people becoming instructors after their training. We are confident that you will get a job for the rest of the season as you will have been through our own interview and briefing process before arrival in Canada.
If you have a passion for working with children and the experience to back it up, you can expect to work for Whistler Kids, looking after children of varying ages. You will work with children that are new to skiing on the nursery slopes, right up to those that you can take up the mountain and ski all day long. You must have a good rapport with children and be able to demonstrate some child care experience beyond babysitting eg Camp America, Tennis coach to 3-11 year olds.
Expect to earn a good minimum wage of C$20 per hour (approx £13 per hour). This wage is enough to live comfortably, have a great social life and even save money. The way of life in Canada really is ‘Work hard, play hard’!
Having good skiing experience and ability is essential (minimum of 5 weeks). You should be able to confidently ski red runs and tackle black runs comfortably.
What do I get for my money?
The cost of this programme is £4985. This includes:
• Guaranteed accommodation ready for your arrival (paid for during your instructor course and then payroll deductable)
• Season ski pass (worth over £800)
• Level 1 CSIA ski instructor course and exam
• Season long job as an instructor (subject to interview and passing exam)
• Interview with Oyster and later with Whistler (over the phone)
• Pre Departure Briefing two months before you head to Canada (this takes place on a video call)
• Assistance with organising the Work Permit (extra fee of $250 payable to Canadian Immigration)
• Support from our rep of 20 years in Whistler throughout your stay
• Transfer from Vancouver
• A thorough 2-3 day orientation on arrival.
• First night in Vancouver hostel
• Oyster hoody
• Help organising Social Insurance Number and Canadian Bank Account
• Monthly meals and activities with the Rep
• Discounts in the village
The programme requires you to have a Canadian Working Holiday Permit (the IEC). We assist in helping you apply for this. Permits are released at the beginning of each year.