Contract Type: Fixed TermStart Date: 01/04/2023End Date: 31/08/2023Department: Beach CafeReports to: Beach Cafe ManagerKey Reports: N/AKey Benefits: Free Housing (for Permanent Herm-based staff), Bonus (T&C's apply), Zero VAT, Low Income Tax rate, Free boat travel to Guernsey.Vacancies Available: we have a number of vacancies for this role and will be recruiting continuously until all are filled.About working on Herm IslandThis small paradise island is located in the English Channel where guests and visitors enjoy year-round hospitality. Tourist accommodation includes The White House Hotel, self-catering cottages and 2 campsites, with three eateries, ranging from classic dining to pub grub. Herm has a popular gift shop and harbour cafe as well as scenic beach cafes. The hospitality teams are supported by several back-office departments which include finance, admin, marketing and of course recruitment. The island properties, infrastructure and landscape is maintained by a team of trained professionals and the island also has its own fleet of boats which are managed by the Marine Services. Working and living on Herm is a truly unique and challenging opportunity. There are approximately 50 permanent staff with year-round roles and an additional 100 seasonal staff. As there are no cars or bicycles on Herm a good degree of fitness is advised and as Herm has no resident doctor or hospital we ask shortlisted applicants to self-assess their suitability to work on Herm. The rewards are plentiful if you are hard-working and motivated by small team collaboration, helping others, delivering a professional service and above all, taking accountability for your role.Our VISION is to have a sustainable financial business whilst preserving the unique appeal of Herm Island, including environmental project work. Our CULTURE encourages a collaborative and hard-working approach focused on accountability, empowerment and ultimately customer and staff experience.Role Profile The successful applicant will be responsible for performing efficient sales transactions and providing a high level of service to all customers in our very busy beach cafes. The role will include being the first point of contact for café visitors, taking and serving orders, preparing drinks and food as required and ensuring the café is clean and tidy. We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic people to join the team and help to deliver an excellent standard of refreshments for all visitors. Hours will vary depending on café demand but will include weekends, bank holidays and some evening work. Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Operating effective café service (food and drink) with an emphasis on high quality, efficient service.
- Set-up of the café in accordance with the pre-determined standards of the operation
- Demonstrate a perfect knowledge of all food and beverage served in the café and how various dishes are prepared and presented.
- Ensure compliance with all Company Health and Safety, and Fire Regulations and procedures.
- Present a cohesive image and adhere to the correct standards of appearance
- Ensure the highest standards of service are always given
- Maximise revenue and increase average spend per person through upselling and high customer service standards
- Ensure Customer Experience is at the agreed level by delivering in line with set objectives
- Ensuring all work is undertaken within any specified timeframes.
- To take accountability of own projects, tasks and deadlines.
- Work with line manager to ensure the business complies with all Health & Safety, and other statutory requirements
- Comply with data protection regulations and ensure all personal data is stored and processed in accordance with company policy
- Operate in line with the policies, processes and procedures in the Quality Management System or any other such system that from time to time is implemented by the business
- Any other reasonable request from your Line Manager or member of the Senior Management Team
- No qualifications required
- Previous experience would be an advantage preferably in the hospitality industry, although training will be given
- Self-motivated and have the ability to prioritise work.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Social and emotional intelligence
- Positive attitude
In addition to the required role behaviours, it is expected that every employee acts in a professional manner at all times, including when off duty, as guests and employees use the same facilities, infrastructure and social areas.BENEFITS
The HERM package is as follows;- Bonus Scheme (T&C's apply)- Low income tax rate- Free boat travel between Guernsey & Herm- Staff discounts- Free housing (for Permanent Herm-based staff)- Free commute (short walk)- Safe & secure (very low crime rate)- Refer-A-Friend scheme- On the job training to include Level 2 Food Hygiene certification- Organised social events- Fantastic hands-on work experience- Milder climate than UK- Abundance of flora and fauna- Breathtaking scenery- Stunning beaches with exceptional (vitamin) sea swimming opportunities- Preferential accommodation rates for Friends and Family outside of Peak Season
IMPORTANT - When applying please UPLOAD your CV or supply enough information in the NOTES section to enable us to consider your application.
EXPERIENCE: If you have no relevant prior experience please provide additional information in the NOTES section.
ELIGIBILITY - Please confirm what relevant permissions you have to work on Herm Island or whether permissions need to be obtained under the States of Guernsey Work Permit Policy – information on Work Permits can be found here https://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=135526&p=0
AVAILABILITY - If you were to be successful, please let us know your preferred start / finish dates?