Akasha Healing Retreat is an 11 room boutique mountain resort settled in the mountains of Piatra Craiului, Transylvania, Romania. We offer our guests wellness and healing holidays in nature with yoga, organic fresh food and lots of time outdoors. We have been running Akasha since 2016, with guests from all over the world and internationally recognised as top 20 retreats in the world by the Guardian UK. We cater for maximum of 22 people at one time, serve all our meals as set buffet style meals with options for vegan, vegetarian and omnivores: meat / fish. Our principles for food is all fresh, varied, organic, healthy and tasty. The meals we serve and our menus are varied and inspired by Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Israeli cooking blended with some local Romanian dishes.
We are looking for an experienced chef to join our small, ambitious, young team that believe in the importance of great service and even greater food, using the amazing local produce that Transylvania has to offer. The position will start from around May/June 2021 onwards with a min 6 month contract up to November 2021 with the possibility of extension.
The role of the chef at Akasha is to organise the smooth running of the retreat kitchen and to serve superior quality meals with emphasis on fresh produce and excellent presentation. We expect our chefs to have flair for their chosen career and to be passionate about cooking, standard of cleanliness and take great pride in each dish delivered to guests. We also expect the chef to lead the kitchen team to higher strengths, organise the kitchen efficiently, manage the generous but tight budget and bring in a level of enthusiasm, ideas, creativity and initiative to the role.
You will work closely with the retreat owners and retreat host to ensure guest expectation is anticipated in advance and often exceeded. In return we will give you a high level of autonomy, structured support and guidance from within a small dedicated team.
Due to our remote location, food & accommodation is provided on site, this role would suit someone who can live on the premises for the duration of the contract.
As a guideline your responsibilities will include:
- Designing a creative, seasonal menu for our buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner following healthy cooking principles and with varied options for vegan, vegetarian and meat eaters.
- Taking into consideration special dietary requirements eg. Vegans/children meals may need to be catered for; allergies or special requests.
Managing stock and budgets:
- shopping and placing orders; liaising with suppliers, finding new suppliers where need be.
- carefully managing stock levels and controlling wastage;
- working within a generous but precise budget, submitting weekly accounts.
Ensuring the kitchen is kept clean at all times, and paying special attention to personal hygiene. Daily clean; evening turn down service; weekly clean; deep cleans at the beginning, mid and end of the season; daily laundry duties and other necessary cleaning to ensure retreat is presented to the highest standards.
Meals that are provided by the chef are as follows:
- Breakfast 9.30AM – a choice of continental & cooked breakfast
- Lunch 2PM – soup, 2 choices of main course, 2 choices of salads, fresh bread
- Dinner 7.30PM – starter, 2 choices main course, 2 choices of salads, desert / cheese board, wine
Explaining our principles of food to guests at meal times and answering questions on ingredients or recipes. Good command of English with a friendly approachable attitude. Taking photos and documenting recipes for our cook book, food blog and Instagram channels, cooking videos for our You Tube channel.
Liaising with the management on a regular basis to discuss any changing guest requirements. Pre-arrival checks with guests to find out about any dietary requirements and menu options.
- Excellent guest relations and interpersonal skills.
- Highly professional & takes pride in your work.
- Good self-motivation, organised, highly flexible and pro-active.
- Team player with great sense of fun.
- A Full EU Driving License is essential.
- Ability to plan, cook and produce meals to a high standard.
- Recognised catering qualification such as NVQ or City & Guild Chef Qualification, Cooking School Certificate or extensive experience in a professional kitchen.
- Minimum of 1/ 2 years working experience high quality restaurants (ie 2 rosettes or similar) or corporate hospitality, yachts, ski chalets and luxury travel companies are all desirable.
- Nutrition or Health Qualifications preferred but not essential.
- Affinity towards the concept of yoga retreat, meditation or self awareness practices, fresh organic sustainable produce.
- Salary Range based on experience & level of skill: €900 - €1500 / month
- Meals on shift, single accommodation on premises.
- Fun working environment with the possibility to return in the winter or next summer.
- Incentive based on excellent customer feedback, consistency of work and savings on budgets.
A perfect opportunity for a chef looking to take a break from busy restaurant kitchens and enjoy the mountains.Please submit a five day menu plan with your application alongside ideas for creative options for vegan, vegetarian, omnivore food preferences. Please ensure you include the ‘wow’ factor!