At Ski Miquel, we look for well-trained and professional Chefs who want to work in a chalet-hotel environment and provide high quality food for around 25-40 guests. This is a full-time position for the winter season, working alongside our Resort Manager and Hosts.
Our holidays include a continental breakfast, afternoon tea and a 3-course evening meal, with canapés served beforehand and a cheese course afterwards. We have our own Cookbook with menus pre-planned for the week, and our Chefs are responsible for ensuring the food is cooked and served to or beyond the expected standard.
This job is ideal for someone who is hard-working and organised, as this means you will get the most time out on the mountain in your free time.
Please note that at this point in time the position is only open to EU passport holders or those with who already have the right to work in the European Union.
The following is an outline of the principal tasks that are expected of our Chefs:
- To prepare and serve breakfast on alternate days (working with our Chalet Hosts), the main job being to cook eggs to order for the beginning of service at 8am until 9am.
- Bake cakes and biscuits for afternoon tea.
- Prepare pre-dinner canapés.
- Prepare a 3-course evening meal for 25-40 guests, adhering to the Ski Miquel Cookbook. This is for 6 evenings of each week throughout the winter season.
- Some weeks there may be children present, who will usually have a simplified meal before the adults sit down to eat.
- Maintaining a clean, safe, and hygienic kitchen, meeting HACCP standards.
- Ordering stock to ensure you adhere to the set budget in conjunction with the Resort Manager, who will report back to Head Office with any issues.
Our most efficient Chefs do most of their preparation work during the morning and then return to the kitchen late afternoon to finish off before the evening service begins. We do not offer lunch in our chalet-hotels, so once you have finished your preparation your day will be free, and you should not have to return to work until late afternoon to prepare for the dinner service at 19:30.
All our staff work as a team, so the Hosts will be able to help with plating up the meals with your guidance and clean the glasses, crockery, and pans, etc. Cleaning the kitchen and the cookware is the responsibility of the Chef, and you should all finish work around the same time.
The following is an outline of the personal qualities that are expected of our Chefs:
- High levels of hygiene
- Team player
- Good communication skills
- High attention to detail
- Must have a valid EU passport, or must already have the right to work in the European Union
- Be able to speak English to communicate with other staff and our guests
- Chef qualification (NVQ Level 2 or equivalent)
- Capable of cooking for up to around 35 people in one sitting
- Experience of ordering and stocktaking
- Experience of working to a budget
Our Chefs will receive the following as part of their employment package for the 2023/24 winter season:
- Competitive salary
- Share of the weekly tips
- Holiday pay
- One day off per week
- Accommodation provided
- Meals provided
- Lift pass arranged
- Ski or snowboard equipment hire provided
- Insurance provided
- Discretionary contribution towards travel to and from resort
Items not provided by Ski Miquel
Please note you will be required to bring your own chef whites/blacks and your own set of knives.