Hotel Head Chef
Snowcoach is an independent family run company operating two hotels in the French Alps offering friendly, good value skiing/snowboarding holidays. We have a large number of returning clients, year on year, which we think says a lot about our holidays and, most importantly, our staff!
We are looking for an experienced chef who would relish a position in the mountains and spending time on the slopes, who is not afraid of hard work and has the commitment to exceed client expectations, as well as having a sense of fun! Your team includes a second chef and two kitchen assistants. This role is very important to us as, in our experience, the head chef can make or break a client’s holiday.
The ***Hotel Terminus Mont Blanc is located in Le Fayet, St. Gervais situated between Megeve and Chamonix with extensive skiing at St. Gervais/Megeve/La Giettaz/Combloux/Les Contamines. The hotel has 36 en-suite bedrooms, dining room, lounge + bar, games room and a hot tub and steam room. Open all year round.
The **Hotel l’Aigle is located high in the Maurienne Valley at Valmeinier 1800 with spectacular views and direct access onto the ski slopes including links to the Valloire ski area. The hotel has 40 en-suite bedrooms, dining room, lounge + bar, games room and an outdoor hot tub overlooking the mountains. We were awarded a Certificate of Excellence 2019 by Trip Advisor.
- Take overall ownership of the kitchen and kitchen staff and the dining room.
- Help devise and plan menus bearing in mind dietary requirements and allergies. Notification of these are given in advance.
- Manage the kitchen budget and minimise expenditure.
- Work as a team with the second chef to prepare and deliver wholesome high standard meals for all clients and staff (buffet-style breakfast, home-made afternoon cakes, 4-course evening meal.
- Monitor stock levels and place all food and drink orders (French speaking receptionist to help).
- Responsible for high levels of kitchen and food hygiene standards ensuring kitchen and storage areas are clean and safe and meet statutory health and safety requirements.
- Control wastage and ensure all stock is secure with no loss.
- Provide supervision and training in kitchen hygiene standards and health and safety to all staff involved in food preparation and kitchen/restaurant cleaning.
- Maintain and develop good working relationships with all suppliers.
- Take note of clients’ comments from our internal questionnaires and react positively and accordingly.
What we are looking for:
- A UK/EU passport holder.
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent catering qualification.
- A current valid HACCP hygiene certificate is desirable.
- Previous experience in kitchen, hospitality and customer service industries.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and time-management skills.
- Previous experience in mentoring/training teams is desirable.
- French language skill is advantageous.
- Driving licence and experience of driving overseas/mountains is desirable.
- Confident in a pressurised kitchen environment.
In addition to working for an independent, family run firm with over forty years’ experience where you are a valued member of the team and not just a number, the main benefits are:
- Competitive salary + bonus scheme
- Meals and accommodation
- Travel to/from resort
- Ski lift pass
- Ski and boot equipment
- Medical insurance
- Hotel bar discount
- Generous friends and family holiday discount
- Going skiing/boarding!