Seasonal Cook/Chef – Hospitality & Catering
Base – FSC Blencathra, Nr Keswick, Cumbria
£2,400 pro rata Golden Hello Payment available
(Terms and Conditions apply)
37.5 hpw/Annualised, Permanent.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Cook to join our small friendly team, working at a field centre catering for groups of all ages, resident and non-resident, based in the dramatic setting on the slope of Blencathra. This post means working approximately 8 months of every year, usually between March to October.
Work/Life balance - No late shifts. Finish time normally 8pm at the latest
Overall Job purpose:
Our Cooks are key to the centre’s hospitality and catering team, you will deputise to the lead cook and assist with the quality delivery of service to our incoming groups. Invariably we cater for a wide range of diets including vegan, gluten free, vegetarian, nut free etc so require an experienced person to devise and cook meals for up to 150 visitors. You will also assist with the supervision of a small catering team.
We’re looking for someone with previous catering experience, a relevant catering qualification, a Level 2 Food Hygiene certificate and the ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, line managers and customers.
- Cooking and delivering of breakfasts and evening meals: set meal times with one or two sittings and two to three menu choices at each
- Ensuring all meals are produced in line with health and hygiene regulations
- Accurately completing all monitoring and recording paperwork i.e. HACCP
- Assisting with the compilation of a varied range of menus
- Assisting with the induction and in-house training of the catering team
- Provision of light lunches or packed lunches for residential groups, as required
- Preparation of home baked items for packed lunches, afternoon teas and supper
- Assisting with sourcing suppliers, stock control, and placing orders
- Receiving deliveries and ensuring they are checked, recorded and correctly stored on arrival
- Ensuring that catering equipment is appropriately maintained
We ask that you have –
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of your work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- Holidays – pro-rata of 28 day including bank holidays (increases with length of service - up to 5 extra days)
- Sick Pay
- Employee Assistance programme
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plan
- Friendly Team
- Free parking
- FSC Workwear
- Training & Development
- Happy to talk flexible working!
- Accommodation and food during working hours can be provided during the season on a chargeable basis
Applications will be considered on arrival
Interviews to be arranged online accordingly. We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email.