Year 1 – NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Sport
Year 2 – NCFE Level 3 Introductory Certificate in Sport and Physical Activity Outdoor Pathway
UKSA's two-year, fully funded Maritime Foundation NCFE programme is an ideal alternative to school or sixth form college for 16–18-year-olds looking to escape the traditional classroom and gain valuable work-related experience. The course is aimed at those who have no prior experience in watersports or yachting and provides the essential skills, qualifications, and knowledge required to start a career within the maritime industry.
On completion of this course, students gain the experience and qualifications to apply for various job opportunities within the maritime sectors. These can include watersport instruction, superyachts, merchant navy, workboats, and fisheries, in roles such as instructor, mate, deckhand or deck officer.
- 16-18 years
- A minimum of four Grade 3 and above GCSEs including English and Maths
- An interest or experience in watersports, outdoor education, or the maritime industry
- Successful interview at UKSA
- 2-year programme – 4 days a week minimum attendance
- Study programmes ran in conjunction with the Isle of Wight College
- Gain and develop essential skills valued by employers
- Further career progression opportunities within the maritime sector
- Industry knowledge and guidance
- Practical learning in a maritime centre of excellence
- While on site take advantage of UKSA’s indoor heated swimming pool, gym, and study areas
This course is fully funded as part of a full-time 16-18 year-old further education (FE) programme.
Find out more
Call our dedicated course advisors on +44(0)1983 203038 or visit