Background information on
NCS The Challenge
The Challenge is the UK's leading charity for building a more integrated society. Our mission is to design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others.
Over the last fifty years, the UK has become much more diverse by age, ethnicity and income. But despite our growing diversity, many of us spend relatively little time with people from different walks of life.
The Challenge is the largest provider of National Citizen Service (NCS), a life-changing initiative that brings together 15 to 17 year olds from different backgrounds. It aims to build their confidence, and to inspire and challenge them to make a difference in their local community. In summer 2016, over 38,000 young people across London, Surrey, Berkshire, the West Midlands, Yorkshire and the North West took part in NCS The Challenge for an intensive three to four week summer programme.
The programme provides young people with the opportunity to complete personal and team challenges, meet new people and give something back to their communities.
- A more cohesive society by mixing participants from different backgrounds;
- A more responsible society by supporting young people’s transition into adulthood;
- A more engaged society by enabling young people to work together to create social action projects in their local communities.
This is achieved through the programme by completing three challenges:
- NCS Personal Challenge: Socially mixed teams of young people bond through a week of challenging outdoor activities.
- NCS Team Challenge: Teams return home and use their skills to experience serving the local community.
- NCS Real Challenge Design: Teams design a social action project to roll out in their local communities. NCS Real Challenge Action: The young people take their social action projects to the streets and campaign with the general public.
By taking part, young people learn new skills and have a great experience that can be referenced in their CVs or in further education applications and all young people who complete NCS The Challenge graduate from our programme and are signposted into year-round volunteering, membership and social engagement opportunities through The Challenge.
The Challenge are looking to employ over 4,500 people to work on this year’s NCS programme. We have a range of roles that are suitable to people of all abilities and experiences. For more information or to apply, visit ncsthechallenge.org/jobs