Background information on
COME AND JOIN OUR TEAM
Ski Amis is an award winning family run business which has been operating in the French Alps since 1989. We have grown a lot during this time, which means each year our team of staff gets a little bigger but we still try to maintain the family feeling and to do our best to make sure everyone has a great time during their season with us. We now have 20 catered chalets in La Plagne, Les Arcs, La Tania and Les Menuires, a team of about 50 people in resort and an office team of 9 people in the winter based in Maidstone, Kent in the UK.
Out in resort, we provide a high quality service to our guests and we also care about our staff - we expect a high level of service and commitment from you but in return we also do our very best to makes sure you can enjoy your season with us and get plenty of free ski time – after all, that’s the main motivation for anyone who wants to do a season and we’ve heard too many stories of all work and no play with some of our competitors! Nobody is pretending it will be easy – but our ethos is always YOU do your job in the professional way we train you, give a great service to our guests to make our business successful (and get lots of tips in the process!) and WE will make sure you have the environment you need to get lots of piste time and the support for a great season.
Our team is selected on their personalities and dedication to quality – if you’re just looking to ski and party for the season and do the minimum you need to get by, then go and look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want to get some great job satisfaction, happy guests (and therefore good tips!), good staff accommodation and a great crowd to work with as well as getting the support of an experienced management team to help you through the hard times and plenty of free skiing time almost every day, then you’ve come to the right place.
We provide you with decent chalets and living accommodation and the tools and equipment you need to make your work as easy as possible in the kitchens and elsewhere. All menus and recipes are provided centrally and you will be given extensive paid training to ensure you can deliver the service to the guests at the right level but still get your own ski time. Just follow the routines and the guidelines we give you, and life should be simple! Because of our training plan, you don’t need to have any previous experience of running a chalet – we will teach you all you need to know as long on a technical level as long as you have the right attitude and work ethic.
In our UK office, we provide a high level of service to our clients throughout the booking process right up until they depart. We also expect a high level of customer service and commitment from our office team to ensure that every guest receives the pre-holiday service that they need, and each holiday is packaged to fit the individual client’s requirements. We are committed to developing our team from the inside and our best and most successful permanent staff have come up within the company from the grass roots. We have an apprenticeship programme to provide an excellent level of training, leading to recognised qualification from NVQ Level 3 up to Degree Level (depending on the role) – there are no training course costs for the employee and study is mostly during working hours – at the same time you receive a salary and work in a real job with development in the workplace as well.
Minimum Recruitment Requirements
Resort Based Positions
All resort based employees MUST fulfil the following basic requirements:
- Must be over 21 years of age (for vehicle insurance purposes)
- Must have held a driving license for at least 2 years – no more than 3 penalty points are acceptable (no matter the reason for the points) and we are particularly interested in people with a category D coach licence, category C truck licence, driver CPC, RoSPA Advanced Driving certificate or more than 2 years of professional driving experience (which can be any type of vehicle) which your previous employers will confirm in writing
- All staff who are designated as drivers must undertake a medical examination in France and will be given a French professional driver’s licence at our cost. Any pre-existing medical conditions which might affect this medical examination must be declared to us on your application and this may affect our ability to employ you
- Must have an EXISTING UK national insurance number – temporary numbers or numbers being applied for cannot be accepted as you must already have an employment record in the UK and have paid UK tax and national insurance
- Must have a UK residential address and bank account
- For couple roles, established couples who have already lived together for a period of time
- Must be fully available to work the full season from and to the dates shown on the job description
UK Office Based Positions
For our UK office apprenticeships:
- You must have achieved at least 5 subjects in GCSE Grades A to C (or 5 to 9 under the latest grading for Maths and English). Some apprenticeships have higher entry requirements – see the individual scheme descriptions
- You must have at least Grade 5 or “C” at GCSE Maths and English
- You must be very organised, efficient and motivated by results – you will be keen to learn and develop your skills
- You will have good ICT skills and be fast on the keyboard (which will be tested). You may not have necessarily chosen ICT as a GCSE option but you need to have some knowledge of Microsoft Office and in particular Word and Outlook – our business is run by a bespoke Reservations System for which you will be trained but we expect you to know your way around using the internet and general computer use.
- You need to have a confident and chatty personality – but understand the importance of focus and productivity in the workplace
- You will need excellent writing skills and be able to write persuasive and informative replies to enquiries with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Flexibility is required with working hours as you will be expected to work on a shift system during the winter to cover the opening hours of the office which are 7 days per week - from 09h00 to 21h30 during the week and 10h00 to 18h00 at weekends and bank holidays. You will work a mixture of late and early shifts (most likely one late shift per week from November until March) and weekends and bank holidays are shared between the team on a monthly rota.
- Ideally, you will be a skier or snowboarder yourself to understand what a client needs on their holiday – maybe you’ve been on family ski holidays or school ski trips or even just tried out the indoor or dry slopes in the UK? If not, then you would need to be prepared to do some pre-employment research to learn the basics – which we can help you with
- Overall – you must be motivated to succeed and committed to the development of a career in a fast moving industry which serves a demanding public
Applications which do not fulfil the above minimum criteria will automatically be excluded without response. If we have stated a “sex” requirement on one of our adverts this is due to accommodation and sleeping arrangements to fit with existing staff and not because we have any specific preference one way or the other!
Standard Benefits and Conditions
All resort based positions offer the following benefits:
- Competitive basic salary paid in the UK in sterling based on at least the national minimum wage rates
- All expenses paid accommodation in a shared room or external studio
- Travel to and from resort at the start and end of the contract
- Work uniform
- Flexible options for in chalet food, seasonal staff ski passes, equipment rental and maintenance, medical and personal possessions insurance
- Pro-rata paid holiday based on 20 days per annum plus the UK bank holidays paid in lieu
- Pension scheme (for those who qualify)
- Fully paid training
For UK office based positions, the conditions are more according to the job and your experience but will include a basic salary plus commission and incentive schemes and all expenses paid for the external training course which accompanies the particular role.
Applications are made via our online application system only:
UK Apprenticeships: https://form.jotformeu.com/SkiAmis/apprenticeship-application
Our application form is detailed and asks a lot of information from you which allows us to assess whether you will fit with our requirements – be prepared to spend some time completing your application – we will ask you to upload a CV, a recent photograph and a menu plan for resort jobs.
Interviews are held in our UK Head Office which is in Maidstone, Kent throughout the summer from May onwards and offers are made ONLY on the basis of a face-to-face interview. We do not offer employment based on telephone or Skype interviews under any circumstances. Because of our stringent application process, if you do reach the stage of being invited to an interview you stand a good chance as we have been able to filter out most of the unsuitable candidates in advance to avoid wasting your time (and ours!) at interview.
We have the following resort based positions available each year from November to April:
- Resort Managers
- Chalet Support Couple
- Chalet Supervisor
- Chalet Couples
- Chalet Hosts
- Chalet Chef
- Driver/Maintenance Staff
- Resort Administrator
and for the following permanent vacancies in our UK head office with an October start date:
- Sales and Marketing Manager (trainee)
- Finance Manager (trainee)
- Business Support Coordinator
- Sales Consultants
- IT Support Technician