If you are a truly talented chef, looking to work for one of the top, "high end" chalet operators in the business, produce amazing food, enhance your CV and your skills, while having the best 5 months of your life, then this job is for you!
Some testimonials from past chefs:
Dane W - Chef, 2015/16 & 2016/17Without a doubt the greatest job I've ever had. Can not wait to return!
Paul and Lauren - Chef/Chalet Manager 2014/15 and 2015/16We travelled all the way from Australia to work in the French Alps and couldn't ask for better employers then Purple Ski. Karen, Michael and their team are first class, providing incredible service and food to their customers and treating their staff with no less love and attention.
Tommy M - Chef, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 & 2016/16After working in Michelin starred restaurant for 6 years as Sous Chef I felt it was time to move on and seek a fresh challenge and new experiences. Karen and Michael offered me the privilege of Chef in Chalet Foinsbois. I am very grateful for this amazing opportunity and the lasting memories. As well as been given freedom to cook what ever I wanted (after a taste test from Karen) there was also plenty of advice/tips from other chefs on what works and what doesn't in a ski resort. We have a generous budget to work with and I was extremely impressed with the quality of ingredients available, particularly the local butcher who will endeavour to help you with specific requests.
There was plenty time for snowboarding and partying, both of which improved throughout the season! Purple Ski is all about exceeding guests expectations, this can also be said for the staff. I never thought I would be able to ride so much powder, meet so many friendly and talented professionals. Combine this with free staff chalet accommodation, BA flights (most other companies throw you on a bus from the UK!) and as much beer/wine as you can drink you are sure to have the time of your life. I cannot wait to return to Chalet Foinsbois in December!
Overview The Chef works alongside the Chalet Manager, Chalet Assistant(s) (where applicable) and the Chalet Assistant/Driver to manage his/her assigned chalet on a day to day basis, ensuring that the guests' needs are met at all times while maintaining the Company's standards. The chef's primary responsibility is for the provision of exceptional quality food and drinks.
We truly aim to deliver the best food in the Alps, and arguably succeed in this - there are no formal classifications for our business but we were the overall winners of The Times Chalet Chef 2010 award and are known in the industry as one of the top 2-3 for food. So we are serious about our food and have very high standards!
Working essentially as a private chef, you need to tailor your food to meet your customers' needs and wishes, which can be challenging, but you also have immense freedom to work on your own dishes, show your creativity and flair.
The hours are long, the job is physically and emotionally demanding and you need to be good at working as part of a team. You must have extremely high work standards, be customer-focused, self motivated, take pride in your work at all times and be conscientious.
No shopping is required! However you are responsible for ordering chalet supplies and managing within a (generous) budget.
Applicants should hold a recognised cooking qualification (e.g., City & Guilds 7061/2, NVQ level 3 or equivalent) and MUST demonstrate at least 4 years post-qualification experience in professional kitchens, ideally in restaurants of 3 AA rosette / 1 Michelin star standard or similar, having held chef de partie or more senior positions.
Previous chalet work is not required and while spoken French is not necessary, it can be an advantage.
Good communication and team working skills are essential.
Service : General
- Contacts guests (party leaders) by telephone before their arrival to introduce yourself and confirm/determine/discuss any special dietary and other special requirements
- Helps make birthdays and anniversaries special
- On changeover days, helps to welcome guests and arrange servicing and/or hire of ski equipment, ski lessons etc. as required
- Is available to answer any questions, or resolve any problems that the guests may have, always aiming to do whatever they reasonably can to ensure that guests have the best possible skiing holiday, whether on or off the slopes. To enable this, is knowledgeable about the resort, its facilities, the Purple Ski website and the Staff Manual.
Service : Cooking
- Provides exceptional quality breakfast, afternoon tea (including freshly baked cakes/slices), children's high tea, pre-dinner canapés, dinner (at least 3 "main" courses plus cheese, on 1-2 nights does 6-7 course tasting menu) and truffles/petit-fours with appropriate wine and drinks, 6 days per week. Caters for any special diets as required (e.g., vegetarian, gluten free etc.)
- Selects (from the Purple Ski cellar) and serves suitable wines at dinner
- Cooks for self and all other staff working in / supporting the chalet
- Prepares picnics for Purple Ski airport transfers as required
Service : Housekeeping
- Ensures that excellent standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained in/around the chalet at all times:
- Cleans kitchen, kitchen equipment and dining room/area, leaving all areas clear and spotless after each service (i.e., breakfast and dinner) and before leaving the chalet. Weekly (usually on changeover day) performs a thorough clean of these areas, including oven, fridges and freezer, microwaves etc..
- On changeover day, in addition to the above, works closely with the rest of the chalet team, does whatever is needed to ensure a smooth and pleasant transition for the guests and efficient changeover for staff. Helps with cleaning and bed making etc. as required
- Manages and cleans all food storage areas within the chalet
- Helps chalet manager/assistant clear away after mealtimes and clean up
- In conjunction with the rest of the chalet team, sets up and closes down the chalet at the start and end of the season
- Maintains a record of all dinner menus, breakfast and afternoon tea dishes and submits these weekly as required
- Takes the lead in the management of stocks of all items/requirements for the chalet: prepares and submits orders to the Supplies and Maintenance Manager on a timely basis, performs stock takes as requested, explains any exceptional usage as requested. Ensures that all variable chalet costs are kept within budgeted levels
- Ensures that fridge and freezer temperatures are maintained at a safe level for the storage and preservation of food; reports any issues immediately
- Reports any maintenance/repair issues promptly and helps in resolution as much as possible
- Helps ensures guests settle bills for any extras incurred during the holiday
- Encourages guests to complete the visitors' book
Age range No age restriction but applicants under 24 years are highly unlikely to have sufficient experience.
Complete our on-line application form by clicking on the "Apply Now" button.