Job Title: Head Chef
Department: Neilson Hotel or Neilson Chalet Hotel
Location: European Ski Resorts
Reports to: Hotel Manager
Direct Reports: Sous Chef/Chef de Partie/Commis Chef/Kitchen Porter
Job Role Summary:
Working for Neilson Active holidays is more than a job, it's a lifestyle! It's all about sharing your passion for the activities you love. You'll be working hard, but the work is fun and there's always plenty of time to play!
The Head Chef leads the kitchen team, managing an effective and efficient kitchen operation, maintaining high health and safety standards and adhering to budgets. You will be compiling creative and appealing buffet menus, ordering food and monitoring spending.
Pre-season and on-going training of the kitchen team is essential as is a good working relationship with the front of house staff. You must be a highly motivated person, driven by a passion for cooking and producing high-quality food with the ability to lead and inspire a team in an enjoyable kitchen environment.
We are always looking for friendly, enthusiastic and approachable individuals to join our amazing team! People who can build rapport with ease and continue to give our guests confidence in the fact, that every element of their holiday is being delivered by people that care.
To join the Neilson Active Holidays team, you must be over the age of 18 and in order for us to acquire the necessary legal paperwork required to place you in an overseas position you must:
- Hold a valid UK, EU, EEA or Swiss passport
- Hold a UK National Insurance number
- Currently be registered to a fixed address within England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
PLEASE NOTE: Regrettably, if you are currently registered to a fixed address in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, it is not possible for us to obtain the necessary legal paperwork required to post you overseas at this time.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Deliver a menu that is suitable for all guests within the budget, whilst ensuring it still consistently achieves targeted customer feedback scores
- Develop, design, and train staff to support the production of delicious and varied a la carte/buffet menus
- Conduct weekly stock checks and reporting on stock levels
- Set, instruct and monitor all areas of the HACCP system ensuring designated paperwork is completed and meets all UK Laws along with those of the country you are based in
- To be flexible, approachable and to build strong relationships that will assist the smooth operation between all hotel departments
- Promote and ensure that a safe working environment is maintained at all times
- To be customer service orientated and encourage direct feedback from our guests
- Ensure you purchase the quality products required whilst still staying within set financial restraints
- Monitor and record all wastage and breakages in line with the company procedures
- Enthusiastically and pro-actively promote Neilson and our holidays
- Ensure that robust procedures are put in place to prevent any loss of stocks and monitor that these are being followed
- To carry out any other tasks as requested by your line manager
Qualifications and experience required:
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent
- Catering qualifications
- IT skills, computer literate and capable using Excel and Word to produce menus, stock sheets and written reports
- Current Food Hygiene certificate and HACCP training
- Proven experience in managing teams
- Extensive experience in design and food presentation in hot/cold buffet menus and a la carte dining
- Experience in catering for large numbers and preferably within a hotel environment
- Managing kitchen budgets and stock control procedures.
- Experience of working overseas with a tour operator (Desirable)
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- A willingness to learn and develop
- Display constant high levels of standards and service, leading by example
- Be a positive and effective communicator within the team and with guests
- Experience and training in various food styles
- The ability to motivate and train team members to achieve objectives
- Be flexible with working hours and be willing to assist in all areas of the operation
- Hard working, self-motivated and works well under pressure with a desire to succeed
- Well organised, punctual, and flexible
- Honest, friendly and approachable in nature
- Excellent appearance and personal grooming with the highest levels of personal hygiene at all times