This seasonal role will be part of a close knit harvest team who will unload crates of grapes from lorries and load them into the grape presses. It is a great way to get a step in the door of the wine industry - several of our press loaders from last harvest have had other roles with us since, some of whom have progressed to cellar hand for this harvest.
What does the job involve :
The crates of grapes weigh around 16kg. The press loading process can involve lifting from above head height and then leaning over the press to load them through the centre. A lorry unload will take about 20-30 minutes and in this time, each person could lift around 1 tonne. Once the lorry is empty and the grapes have been loaded into the presses, this role will be cleaning down the press, crates and the area until the next lorry arrives. The role will be working at heights.
The shifts can be 8-11 hours ( could be longer ) , 6 days a week during harvest. Each person will be allocated either day shift starting in the morning or late shift starting afternoon/evening and finishing potentially as late as 2am ( although the end time could be earlier or later depending on the harvest )
The late shift, depending on when it finishes, could be classed as a night work. Once they are allocated late shift, each person would stay on this shift for the whole harvest which could be up to 2-5 weeks.
Please note all of this information is just given as a guide. All shift timings, start and end dates are fully dependant on harvest so anyone applying needs to have full flexibility and commitment during the harvest.
What you will need to be a successful applicant:
• You should enjoy working in a close-knit team working towards a common goal and with the ability to use own initiative
• Be comfortable with physical lifting and climbing stairs to the grape press
• Able to work at heights and at nights ( a medical assessment will be required to ensure safety and reasonable adjustments )
• Be available for around two to five weeks from mid to end of September ( TBC actually dates to be confirmed nearer the time as will be dependent on grape yield and ripening)
• Flexibility with additional hours required depending on harvest
What we will give you:
• The opportunity to work within an award-winning wine business as part of a pioneering, proactive and friendly team.
• Your working hours will be spent next to a stunning vineyard with amazing views of the South Downs.
• Contract for the harvest period (actual date is grape ripening dependent)
• One hot meal provided per shift
• Staff discounts while on contract
• Real Living Wage
Ridgeview has committed to the decision-making strategies of B-Corporation and are currently underway in our accreditation process. The high standards of B-Corp include transparent Governance, promoting sustainable and profitable working practices, supporting our local and industry community along with providing our staff, customers, suppliers and stakeholders with a purpose as a force for good. Ridgeview measure our performance against these standards and work to continuously improve the ethics of our business.https://bcorporation.uk/about-b-corps
Ridgeview Wine Estate has a fundamental and passionately held commitment to ensuring that our workforce truly represents society, encouraging everyone to be best that they can be through celebrating and encouraging the uniqueness that every individual can bring through diversity. We welcome all to join us on this inclusive journey. We are proud to be Disability Confident (Committed)https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/