ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are seeking a dedicated and friendly person to assist in the general cleaning and maintenance of a much loved seasonal campsite from April to October for a full season contract or mid-June to mid-September for a short high season contract, approximately 40 to 48 hours per week over 6 days.
Duties include, but are not limited to general facility & grounds maintenance, cleaning public toilets across the island, cleaning campsite toilets/showers, cleaning of tents, liaising with service team members regarding the delivery of luggage, maintaining cleaning stock levels and being on call for any guest emergencies. Interested candidates must be physically fit, friendly, practical, intuitive and keen outdoors persons. Warden experience is preferred.
EXPERIENCE is not necessary as training will be provided. The successful applicants will be expected to support their colleagues wherever they are needed in the business. A willingness to learn and a team spirit are a must.
- Team skills and keen to jump in where needed
- Attention to detail
- Positive outlook
- Polite and attentive
- Can-do attitude
- 5/6 day working week (dependant on business needs)
- Monday to Sunday
- Bank holidays with Time Off In Lieu as agreed
Applicants do not require permission to work for Herm Island if they have any of the following:
- the right of abode in the UK
- valid settled or pre-settled status
- indefinite leave to remain in the Bailiwick of Guernsey
Please refer to ELIGIBILITY section in the NOTES for further information.
The HERM package is as follows;
- Performance bonus scheme (discretionary)
- Loyalty bonus scheme (seasonal workers)
- No Value-added tax (VAT) or goods and service tax (GST)
- Income tax rate is 20%
- Free family boat travel between Guernsey & Herm
- Staff discounts at Island shop
- Staff accommodation (if based on Herm), with some single rooms available
- Commute to work is a 1-10 minute walk
- Safe & secure (very low crime rate)
- Refer-A-Friend scheme
- No traffic (private vehicles are not permitted)
- On the job training to include level 2 FSA certificates
- Organised staff and community social events
- Fantastic hands-on work experience
- Free food (seasonal workers)
- Milder climate than UK
- Abundance of flora and fauna
- Breathtaking scenery
- Stunning beaches with exceptional (vitamin) sea swimming opportunities
- A great place for family and friends to come and visit!
IMPORTANT - When applying please UPLOAD your CV ensuring the following information is included to enable us to process your application quickly.
EXPERIENCE: If you have no relevant prior experience on your CV relating to the role you are applying for, please provide additional information so we can consider your application.
ELIGIBILITY - Please confirm what relevant permissions you have to work on Herm Island or whether permissions need to be obtained under the States of Guernsey Work Permit Policy – information on Work Permits can be found here https://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=135526&p=0
AVAILABILITY - If you were to be successful, please let us know your preferred start / finish dates?
OTHER - If you are applying as part of a couple please state your partner's name.
** Failing to upload your CV may result in your application not being processed **
ABOUT WORKING ON HERM ISLAND
This small paradise island is located in the English Channel where guests and visitors enjoy year-round hospitality. Working and living on Herm is a truly unique and challenging opportunity and requires flexibility, a positive attitude, resilience and a customer-focused mindset. As there are no cars or bicycles on Herm a good degree of fitness is also advised. The rewards are plentiful if you are hard-working and motivated by small team collaboration, taking responsibility, helping others and delivering a professional service. As Herm has no resident doctor or hospital we ask shortlisted applicants to submit their medical facts and self-assess their suitability to work on Herm. We are a fair and reasonable employer offering good rates of pay and benefits, staff accommodation as necessary, and a great team of friendly colleagues.