Our Intermediate Course is an intensive structured 5-day course for those looking to further their cookery knowledge. We offer a relaxed yet informative style of teaching aiming to keep things fun and social with the rest of the group.
On the first day of the Intermediate Cookery Course we will offer a recap on knife skills and other important tips that help your time in the kitchen. Throughout the week, twice daily you will have a demonstration covering what you will be cooking in the morning and then the afternoon. You will get lots of hands-on experience in making the demonstrated recipes, with the assistance of our experienced chefs. You will create a variety of sweet and savoury, new and exciting recipes that will increase your cooking ability and take your kitchen confidence to the next level. It’s time to ramp it up a notch…
At The Avenue we teach our students to have great confidence and understanding in food, enabling you to use your cookbooks purely as inspiration, rather than rule. We are very flexible in our teaching so any gaps in knowledge can easily be filled and we are here to answer all your questions so you can leave us with a newfound kitchen confidence!
All students who attend the Intermediate Cookery Course are required to have a good basic ground knowledge either from The Avenue’s Really Useful Course or from experience gained elsewhere.
For those wanting to complete this week to obtain a job working as a host, whether in a chalet, yacht, villa, shooting lodge or as a nanny you will cover hosting skills, menu planning and how to clean properly and change beds. This will be covered one early evening after the days cooking. You will also receive an Avenue Host Bible and the means to complete your Food Safety Level 2.
Worried about missing jobs due to attending our course later in the summer/autumn? – Although we recommend to get in there early, if you book a later course don’t worry! There will be companies still accepting applications and having completed The Avenue Host Course your odds of employment will increase.
N.B. Due to Brexit regulations are changing within ski companies. Some companies require an EU passport or French Carte de Séjour however, there are ski companies out there that you can apply to where they assist you with the visa process. This can take a few weeks to a month so bear this in mind. Although they will process the visa for you, you will need to be motivated and organised to get all the paperwork through and once in France there are several appointments and medicals to attend.As we are a course provider and not a Chalet Host employer, sadly we can’t guarantee a Chalet Host position. We help as much as we can but don’t forget, securing a job is down to you and the work you put in! You will need to work hard and be proactive, but we will of course try our utmost to help you find that job!
What We Offer
- Deposit option – if booking more than 1 month in advance get in touch for more details
- A fun, sociable, flexible and informative 5-day course
- Intensive daily cooking programme
- All equipment and food provided
- Interesting demonstrations
- Fun, warm and professional teaching
- Useful tips and tricks of the trade
- Tips on organisation and prepping your dishes ahead of time
- Hands-on cooking
- Mind-blowingly delicious recipes
- Delicious lunches
- Well-structured course
- Ingredients, aprons and equipment provided
- The Avenue apron
- Intermediate Cookery Course Avenue certificate
- The Avenue Cookbook
- The Avenue Host Bible (Chalet/Yacht Hosts only)
- Food Safety Level 2 Certificate (Chalet/Yacht Hosts only)
- CV check (Chalet/Yacht Hosts only)
- Help in trying to land a job in the Alps (Chalet Hosts only)
- Shared or private accommodation as an extra for those that need (see details here)
- Advanced knife skills
- Variations of baking
- Boning meat and handling fish
- Preparing and cooking a variety of vegetables
- Learning to cook international foods and different techniques
- Canapé making
- Rectifying dishes
- Catering for dietary requirements
- Variety of intermediate cooking skills and techniques
- Food presentation
- Knowledge of new intermediate recipes
- Avoiding waste and cooking with leftovers
- Time management
- Having fun while cooking!
- Anything extra that anyone wants to know, the list grows!
The Avenue Cookery School
Intermediate Chalet/Yacht Cookery Course, 1 week
Ski season courses
full support and training is provided
- Food included
- Specialist equipment included