FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fairmount chateau whistler?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tghigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tghigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fairmount chateau whistler?
    Posted: 14 August 2006 at 22:48
alrite guys, have applied thru bunac for some jobs (in the gym, ski shop, door attendant, at the fairmount chateau whistler for this coming winter. Got interview in edinburgh on sept 2nd. Has anyone else applied here or worked here before? basically jus wana know if it is a decent place to work for or are they gona take the ****. ANy help would be much appreciated, geej
Clare23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 10:42
I too have got an interview for the Fairmont Chateau and was wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with the ski passes. Is it like working for the mountain where you get a free season pass or do they deduct it from your wages?

Any other info on working at the Fairmont will be much appreciated.

the_beast015 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_beast015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 14:00
Hey Guys!

While I dont and havent worked for the Chateau Whistler, I do work as a ski rep in Banff and Lake Louise and spend a lot of my time in the hotel and have known people who work there.

Firstly, the Chateau is in the middle of nowhere (4km from lake Louise village, and Lake Louise village consists of a few accommodations and shops, which is great, just dont go expecting it to be whistler!!) and is amazing scenery with staff accommodation behind the chateau. I imagine you will have to buy a season pass (but should get a discount through the hotel).

To be honest I imagine they will expect the same as most of the employers.....work hard, play hard. Throughout the busy periods you might not get out on the hill so much (which is a 10 min bus ride away). I havent heard any bad comments anyway.

If your looking for amazing scenery, in the mountains away from everything then Lake Louise is your place. However, if your looking for somewhere with a bit of nightlife (and more work oppotunities) then I wouls say you might wanna look at Banff, they re 45 mins apart and are linked with a ski bus.

If you want anymore info then let us know, Im heading back in November!!
witts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote witts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 08:36
I had an interview via BUNAC for fairmont in London, and was told at the end of the interview that they had already filled all the positions as something like 125 people when for 75 positions, but i would be put on a secondary list, just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could enlighten me on why they seem to have wasted some peoples time. although i didn't have to travel that far to get to london i know some people had travel some distance and taken time off work for the interview.

well done to any one that did get the job, the resort looks pretty sweet, esp. as you get use of their facilities and the staff accomadation ain't to bad either
Clare23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 10:52
I've accepted a job with the Fairmont in Whistler but it doesn't start until the middle of December. I initially had my flight booked for October 18th so I could make it to Whistler in time for the job fair but now I have a job there is no need for me to be there that early. I have changed my flights to the end of November now. Do you think that is too late? Will everybody else already have settled in and made friends? It would be good to hear from anybody else that is going to be working for Fairmont.
packtim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 16:15
Im in the same boat as you, I got told pretty much the same thing. I was just told they werent in a position to offer me the job at the time.TBH, with what the person a few posts down has said, that it starts in December, then maybe its not such a bad thing, as I want to go out earlier than that. Im just going to try my luck at the Whistler job fair I think

Regards

Tim

Originally posted by witts witts wrote:

I had an interview via BUNAC for fairmont in London, and was told at the end of the interview that they had already filled all the positions as something like 125 people when for 75 positions, but i would be put on a secondary list, just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could enlighten me on why they seem to have wasted some peoples time. although i didn't have to travel that far to get to london i know some people had travel some distance and taken time off work for the interview.

well done to any one that did get the job, the resort looks pretty sweet, esp. as you get use of their facilities and the staff accomadation ain't to bad either
malibulucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibulucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 11:05
Ive not been to the fairmont in whistler but like the beast mentioned there is one in lake louise where i was, i didnt work there but heard lots of stories. Dont expect the hotel to be in the centre of things they will most likely be outside the main village as they usually have some land and like to maintain that 'exclusiveness' by being a bit further out. It is luck of the draw whether your room is bigger than a box or not i know people who worked for the fairmont and had tiny grubby rooms and others who didnt. Do not expect tp be able to use their facilities as much as you want to-a lot of the time you can only use things like the gym on off peak times ie first thing in the morning or last thing at night and i know that in the one in lake louise if you wanted to go and drink in the bar afterwards you had too book and were only allowed in on certain nights at certain times. You will get paid very little to run around a lot-obv you will get tipped depending on what position you are but i would suggest for anyone looking for a job to go for bar work, door men or waiting on (not breakfast serving though as no one ever tips at breakfast) that way you are making enough money to get by
All those of you going to the job fair it is worth looking at the smaller companies too as a lot of the time they will treat you better and pay you a lot more, for someone like the fairmont who empoly hundreds of staff you are merely a number to them.

Luc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic