FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working as a nanny at a ski resort..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chloebashford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chloebashford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working as a nanny at a ski resort..
    Posted: 15 September 2011 at 14:48
Hey,

I'm looking into working as a nanny at a ski resort this winter. Any tips or advice?
Has anyone worked as a self-employed or employed nanny at a ski resort???

Chloe
HopingForSnow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HopingForSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 16:06
You're options would be:

Nanny with a Tour Operator e.g VIP SKI - package includes accom, lift pass, ski hire etc, and it's a bit more secure, but you will work 5.5-6 days per week. Will probably want you to be qualified and get CRB check etc.
Nanny with an agency e.g Merinannies - nothing is included so you get paid more. Maybe more risky as you are not guaranteed income week to week but you can pick and choose your bookings. More flexible with qualifications.
Kaiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2011 at 10:31
My personal recommendations woul be condoms aplenty and a gastric band.Wink

Or to get a job where you can actually ski a bit, otherwise why bother going to a ski resort?
HopingForSnow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HopingForSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2011 at 13:40
Erm, because sometimes it's actually worth doing a job you enjoy?
Getting paid to go sledging, paint, play games and go on crepe trips doesn't really count as work but is a dam sight more fun than cleaning toilets. Plus if you get the right job there is plenty of ski time if you make the most of it.
Kaiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2011 at 14:11
Furry muff, but I would still advise the preventative equipment. Enjoy your season.
liss_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liss_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 16:50
Hi Chloe, I'm just about to go on my 3rd winter season as a nanny! My first season I worked for Mark Warner, rubbish pay, horribly long hours and only 1 day off a week, however the nightlife was great and I met some amazing people. Last year I worked as a private nanny. I preferred this, as the money was better and I got 2 days off a week. However where I was based was very quiet and there wasn't many people my age so the social side wasn't great! This season I'm off to Val d'Isere with VIP Ski, hoping to get the best of both worlds with this one!

For your first season I would say go with a TO, the job security is much better, you've got a guaranteed monthly wage (even if it isn't much!), and there will be people your age and in the same position as you!

Like hopingforsnow said, it's worth doing a job you love! I LOVE what I do. Yes, you don't get as much time up the mountain as say, chalet hosts do, but the job satisfaction makes up for it in my opinion :D

karenmcgraw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmcgraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 11:15
Try applying on luxurious ski resorts usually there are in need or private nanny's on such kind of resorts, being a private nanny is way better for it often has a higher payment.
laur2190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laur2190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 18:38
Hey what was working with VIP ski like? iv been invited for an interview  with them for a nanny position but just trying to find out abit about them first before i decide to go along...
Thanks x
liss_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liss_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 19:10
Hey, I really enjoyed it! They generally look after their staff a lot better than most T.O's (pay, accomodation, benefits etc). I don't know if this has been explained but the difference between VIP and other companies is that they offer a private nanny service, so you just work in one chalet each week, usually 1 or 2 families, either on your own or with another nanny or sometimes 2, depending on age/number of children. You keep your own babysitting money, and your tips, which makes a huge difference! I barely touched my wages, apart from buying new kit. If you've got any more questions, feel free :)
laur2190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laur2190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 19:17
Thanks for replying i havent been able to find any reviews from employers anywhere! maybe i havnt looked hard enough.
This would be my first time doing a season so iv no idea what im getting myself into. if i even get offered the job lol..  How often do you get to ski?
clarence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 20:28
I worked as a nanny in La Tania with Ski Magic last season, very small company, but you're pretty much left to your own devices. 

Talking with other nannies in resort I have a fairly good idea of pay, hours, etc for other companies in La Tania/Courcheval now, pm me if you want more info. 

laur2190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laur2190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 20:32
Hey, im not sure how to pm!! if you pm me first il figure out how to reply lol x
liss_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liss_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 19:03
Hey again, you generally get a day and a half off a week as a nanny with any company. With VIP you get transfer day off, (Sunday) and either wednesday morning or afternoon, depending on what the family want. You might also get weeks where you only work 5 hours a day instead of 8, or start at 12 and work til late. It very much depends on the family you get each week, I don't think i ever had 2 weeks weeks running where i worked the same hours (which is nice, gives a bit of variety!)
laur2190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laur2190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 20:10
Ah sounds good! any tips for the interview?
liss_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liss_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 20:32
Just be yourself! Rona is really friendly and easy to talk to, it's more like a chat than an interview haha. As long as you can prove to her that you don't mind hard work, you can get along with parents/other staff and that you're gonna uphold the standards that VIP want, you'll be fine! Have a look at the website, that should help as well. Rona will probably have an idea of which resort she's gonna place you in so it might be worth asking her a bit more about that particular resort so you've got an idea what to expect!
Don't be afraid to ask questions as well, it shows your interested! When is your interview?
laur2190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laur2190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 21:03
I havnt arranged the date yet lol talk about forward thinking!! i did ring today but she was on her lunch break and i couldnt ring again as i had work so will call again tomorrow, im really stuck for getting time off work atm until the end of july when kids break up from school really, do you think shel mind waiting that long?
sparkhallt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkhallt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 18:30
So i got offered a job with VIP ski today, for either the new hotel in st anton or Val d’Isere, cant decide where to go!
also have an interview for esprit tomorow.
Has anyone worked in any of these places thankyou!
liss_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liss_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 19:08
St. Anton is an amazing resort and there is a crèche room in the hotel I believe, which is pretty handy! I was in Val d'isere in winter 2011/2012 and I loved it! There's a really big team there and loads of stuff to do with the kids. Either resort is good though. Never worked for esprit so can't help you on that one. I'd go for the better paid one if I were you, which will probably be VIP.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkhallt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 19:12
Ah thankyou so much! Do you have a Facebook that I can have a chat to you on?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkhallt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 19:30
I really don't know what resort to go to... im leaning more towards Val d’Isere, but i dont know :(
what company did you work for?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic