FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whistler Working Ski Season - First Time HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WillAtkins261 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whistler Working Ski Season - First Time HELP
    Posted: 19 January 2012 at 10:53

Hello there,

Basically I am looking to do a working ski season 2012-2013. I am going to be honest and say I genuinely have no idea where to start and would appreciate any help and advice you guys can give!

So I 18 and am currently in my last year of sixth form and when I finished am looking to do something (A ski season). I won’t have much money but could probably scrape together £2000 or so by working over summer. Ideally I would love to go to Whistler, Canada. Main reasons being the language barrier is not an issue and well I just love Whistler. Now the best-case scenario would be to get a job package that includes accommodation, ski pass maybe even flights. Whether or not these job prospects are around I do not know? Also what is the best way to go about getting a Visa and when would I need to apply for one?

So I am looking really for any advice, own experiences of people doing seasons in whistler. Links to websites would be very much appreciated! Anything to help a newbie really (:

Summer.

I am toying with the idea of staying on through the summer to do mountain biking; I understand that the same job is unlikely to be available but would look for another perhaps in a bike shop, bar anything really. So again really if any of you have done this, would be great to hear any of your feedback and advice!

Many thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers, Will.

Edited by WillAtkins261 - 19 January 2012 at 10:58
u_peenarce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u_peenarce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2012 at 16:37
Hi mate, 

im gonna be a bit cheeky hear, can i ask that if you find a job like that, that you let me know. That is what im looking for, as ill be doing a summer season this year and really want to do a ski season.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2012 at 16:54
Haha, Yeah sure.. I have a better idea now after doing a lot of personal research. Have looked at oyster. Also want to look in to working for the mountain, and applying through the whistler blackcomb website but i don't believe they have their 2012/13 season jobs posted there yet! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 11:20
Firstly thank you so much for your reply! very informative and I now feel far more clued up on what I need to do for my season! 
You mentioned working for the mountain, I have been on the WBC website and there are no apparent listings for season jobs 2012/13? Is this correct? and if so when will the listings be put up? 
Another thing, when it comes to accomodation (I am yet to look in to my options), is there likely to be Wi-fi in the majority? as this is a necessity for me! 

Thanks, Will 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 12:28
Firstly thank you so much for your reply! very informative and I now feel far more clued up on what I need to do for my season! 
You mentioned working for the mountain, I have been on the WBC website and there are no apparent listings for season jobs 2012/13? Is this correct? and if so when will the listings be put up? 
Another thing, when it comes to accomodation (I am yet to look in to my options), is there likely to be Wi-fi in the majority? as this is a necessity for me! 

Thanks, Will 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 18:41
Thank you again for your quick reply! I will bear this in mind and bookmark your website. How does the pricing of your accommodation compare with that provided by WB, say I was to get a job not working for the mountain and use you guys for accommodation? rather than getting a job/accommodation/ski pass all inclusive deal? I presume ideally working for BC is the best value for money? or is this not the case? 

thanks will
rideonwhistler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rideonwhistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 21:20
Hi Will,

If you book one of our shared rooms (huge rooms with two queen beds) with us it works out about $930p.m. - or you can have a spacious private room for $1,166per month. Our prices include all bills, bed linen & towels, weekly cleaner, household cleaning products, high speed WiFi, free international phone calls, sauna, gas fire, 42inch flatscreens & Apple TV, monthly events, etc. Basically you only need to budget for your grocery bill once you're staying with us!

WB staff accommodation is the cheapest deal in town - as low as $315p.m. for bed in a small bunk room. I lived there in my 1st year and survived... it was a great time, but definitely not for people who like personal space! There are three main locations you can be put into - Glacier Lane (up on Blackcomb mountain), Brio (the best option in my opinion, 10mins walk from village) or Westside (out in Creekside - couples tend to get put here).

If you are looking for the cheapest option for a season then working for WB is almost definitely it - you have to rough it a little if you go for staff housing, and they are the worst paying employer in town, but they can be really good to their staff in other ways! An interesting point to note is that a free seasons pass is worth about $1p.h. in wages over a season.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 12:32
Okay great thanks for the feedback! Look forward to sorting it all out now knowing that there are people out there that can help make it less daunting! 

will
karenmcgraw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmcgraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 10:53
You'll get such kind of benefits from a ski resort job if you will have a high position, free flights? I think that would be too much as a freebie or benefits. Have you been to this ski resort before? if not you can check more info about it in this Whistler Blackcomb article
Lakebecky1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakebecky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 16:28
Hi everyone 

I'm looking at doing to ski season 2012-2013 too! I'll be just 21 (want a gap year after I finish uni). I have a few questions about the whole thing if anyone can help!
How bad is the staff housing? do you have to have a shared room?? Not sure I like the videos I have seen on YouTube lol 
How easy is it to find a job and what is the average wage?
When should I head out to whistler? 

Hope someone can help Smile Thanks 

Becky 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rideonwhistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 19:44
Hi Becky,

Staff housing have a limited number of private rooms available (building 5 I think, its been awhile!) but they get snapped up quickly! You can request it when you apply - the earlier you get into town the better your chances of sneaking into one of them are (arrive in the summer or at least early October). It is very close living up in staff, but it can be alot of fun too. Only Whistler Blackcomb (WB) employees can live in staff housing in the winter.

BC minimum wage will go up to $10.25 this May (or $9 if you work in a restaurant/bar). Most WB jobs will pay minimum wage, whilst other employers in town may offer a couple of dollars more ph.

If you want to find private, better value accommodation then you should head out as early as you can - end of the summer, first week of October at the latest. October/November is when the majority of winter season people will arrive, creating a very competitive environment for housing and jobs. Saying that, alot of employers won't start hiring until November, so you could be in town without work for a while if you get here early.

Hope that helped.
AlexH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 21:51
Hey People

I am trying to sort out a season in Whistler too! (i'm 21 about to finish uni this year) for 2012/13 season and have been looking at the rideon accommodation looks good! Are there many companies except the likes of Oyster who sort you out with jobs before you go? i Wouldn't mind that security but no worries if not!
I also contacted a company called smaller earth who sort out jobs before you go but they haven't got back to me yet on whether Whistler is on their list as i already know they cover banff etc so we shall see what they say...maybe worth checking out everyone! :)

Thanks
 Alex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rideonwhistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 22:05
Thanks AlexH!

There are a few companies who will organise you a job in advance - take a look at Overseas Working Holidays, I know they offer Whistler...

You could also take a look at Whistler Blackcomb's recruitment initiatives page - they list all the partners they go through to hire internationally. WB also host a job fair in Whistler in early November where they hire for a few full time positions, but mostly part-time and volunteers (free pass!).

A few other larger employers in town will hold job fairs in November, and smaller companies often hire right up until mid-December (they can only afford to hire staff once the resort gets busy just before Christmas). 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakebecky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 08:51
Hiya

I have just signed up with Bunac work Canada. They don't find you a job, but they help you find one and get job vacancies before they are advertised and its a group flight with others going to Vancouver, and most likely onto Whistler...which is pretty cool! Have you sorted out your visa? Just as the deadline is 31st of March....I sent mine off yesterday, so fingers crossed! 

Becky 
AlexH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 10:40
Hi Becky
Sounds good! I didn't realise that the visa deadline was so close so i am applying today....I looked at BUNAC last night and also another company called CCUSA...The CCUSA people do offer jobs before you go but it is slightly more expensive than BUNAC and they don't offer group flights... so i am torn between the two may post somewhere else on the website to see if people have had any experience with CCUSA. I have heard of BUNAC before as all my friends have travelled with them and they seem great!....so many decisions! hope your visa application goes well!

Alex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 17:00
Hello there! panicking as only just realised the deadline. should be okay as going to send off for the 2 day return police certificate and will send documents to the embassy in london as soon as i get it back! are you certain the 31st is the deadline? if so where did you find this information? thanks will

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakebecky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 19:32
I will! I asked the company 'bunac' and they told me! You should be fine getting it all done in time! Just as long as they receive your application by the 31st :) I did my police certificate thing the quickest way possible and it was back in about 3 days
Becky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillAtkins261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 23:13
I hope that you're right I really do! Just wrote out a cheque for £70 and sending off the police certificate stuff tomorrow AM then as soon as I get that back I have all the other forms ready to post straight away. I hope I make it I really do, be devistated! Annoyed I left it this late thought I hate longer.
JenB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 05:35
Hey future Whistler-ites,
was playing around online and ran across this forum... I've been in Whistler for the last 5 years (came for a season and never left, seems to happen to most people here!) Can't help you with bunac/ccusa but i can give you a little bit of advice about Whistler... the winter seasons gets started middle of November and most seasonal employment starts the beginning of December. That said, if you get here early, say september time, you can find a job and keep working the dead season, you won't get much by way of hours but you will have a job and this is the hardest thing to find in Whistler in the winter if last season is anything to go by!! Lots of people wandering around desperate for work. If you want to avoid this, sign up for an interview with WB when they come to London and you can secure a job before you go! Pay is crap though but at least you get a free lift pass and can sign up for cheap staff accommodation if you get in early.
Housing is pretty easy to find, the earlier you get here the cheaper it is. If you have some friends that you're coming with you can look for seasonal housing and will be paying around $600-800p/m depending on when you get here this may be to share a room. Alpine and creekside are good places to stay as they are cheaper and the busses are reasonably regular ($65pm for a bus pass) Alpine has a cafe and grocery store, Creekside (the best place in my opinion) has several pubs, cafes, restaurants and you can get the gondi from there up Whistler mountain :) Emerald is pretty far from town but pretty much the cheapest place for accommodation. Blueberry/Brio/Whistler Cay are walking distance to town but prices go up accordingly! Internet and cable is sometimes included, sometimes not, you can always sign up for it while you're here though through shaw or telus.

A good place to check out jobs and housing is whistler local newspaper... the Pique Newsmagazine, also Whistler Craigslist, but they have A LOT of housing scams so if it sounds too good to be true it probably is...

Any how... summers here kick ass... winters are siiiick, (in Canadia speak) I hope to see you here in December! ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakebecky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 17:49
Thank you for all the information! I'm hoping to fly out half way though October. I'm going on my own...do mny people do that?! Kind of terrified I won't find a place to live lol

I'm not sure if WB still come to london, but I'll investigate lol thank you again :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic