FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whistler Working Ski Season - First Time HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AdSomething View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdSomething Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 17:31
Im heading about there this October for a full season...

From what I've been told - if you don't want to work for the Mountain, there isn't that much you can do until you're actually out there. I don't know about WB or BUNAC - they might be able to set you up in some accom. etc.
Becky - did you find out if WB come to London?

Luckily I've got friends already out there who have saved me a room, but last year they arrived mid-October and stayed in a Hostel for a few days, during that time they arranged a load of house viewings and by the end of the week it was all sorted! (Jobs came a little later but they all managed....)
hollytcup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollytcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 23:21
Hey Guys, 

Just stumbled across this thread also...

I'm planning on going to Canada (Vancouver) in October. I'm doing a Trek America tour from NY-LA in September for just over a month then was planning on going up to Vancouver.

I've got my visa through now too (whoop whoop!) I'm also travelling by myself and was thinking of getting a job at a resort in Whistler as I thought it would be a good way to meet people and make friends etc. Although I've never ski-ed or snowboarded before! 

I've signed up with BUNAC. Although I'm not sure whether it was something STA just flogged to me. They are basically a support system that helps you get a bank account, social security number and job etc. They'll point you in the right direction for the career fairs for the Ski Resorts etc.

I was originally thinking I'd like to get a job at a resort that would provide accommodation etc but after doing a bit of research, its not as easy I thought it was going to be :/

How are every body else's travel plans going? Would be cool to meet up with you guys in Vancouver in October?

Holly :)

p.s. 22 yr old female from Bournemouth :)
AdSomething View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdSomething Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 00:05
Yeah I'm not sure about BUNAC - they seem to charge a lot of money for pretty much nothing! Getting a SIN and a bank account really isn't hard... I would probably suggest just taking the more independent route and sorting housing and a job out by yourself.
Who knows there's enough people in this thread all after a house - maybe a group or 2 can be made!
And yeah doesn't matter if you haven't Ski'd before. That first day is the most exhilarating experience ever!

I'm well up for meeting up by the way. Isn't there some Facebook group for Whistler 12/13? There definitely should be.
jazown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 21:29
Hey everyone,

There's a group of us from SCUK who started up a facebook group, mostly all going out for the first time and a couple of veterans!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/279398198814761/

Jason
Krissystar123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krissystar123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 11:31
Hey my names Kristen, 21 from NewZealand but been living in Australia for the last few years... Off to Canada in early November- going to America first, was hoping to do the same thing and go to Whistler but the more i read the harder it sounds to secure a job in mid Nov!! Hope to meet a few of you on the Mountain!  Smile
Josh23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:44
Hey guys, 
My names Josh, im 19 from australia.. going to canada early november with all tracks for an instructor course and planning to stay for the rest of the season. I finish my course just before christmas, Dec 21st, just wondering if anyone knows what kind of chances i have of picking up an instructor job around that time, also chances of getting staff accommodation? i know that gets filled pretty quickly so im worried that i may not be able to stay the rest of the season as im kind of depending on the cheap staff accommodation... Anyone have any experience with getting staff accommodation around that time, or know anyone that has ?? 
Cheers guys :)
rideonwhistler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rideonwhistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 20:08
Hi Josh,

You might get a job with the mountain instructing at that time but it would be very unlikely that you would get a space in staff housing. It is usually filled up by mid november..

I would look at trying to organise something else. Or make sure you hunt for accomm while your doing your course!

Take a look at this site for some good tips 

http://www.rideonwhistler.com/Whistler_Season_Guide/Finding_Accommodation/
dizbobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 08:25
Hi Kristen!
Im a 21yo kiwi doing the same thing as you, but my last exams finishing early November means I'm going to be arriving mid-November trying to get whatever accommo and jobs are left, so don't think you're the only one going so late! I've only recently committed to Canada for the winter so I'm still trying to figure everything out (where to stay, job chances etc) if you know anything I dont it'd be sweet to know... That being said cant be all bad once we hit the slopes, sh*ts on Ruapehu any day :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic