FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Esprit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wangna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wangna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Esprit
    Posted: 22 May 2012 at 07:45
I am looking for some advice.

scoryx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:49

Esprit Holidays, Inghams & Ski Totalā€

Has anyone had an interview for a chalet assistant.
what did you do for your presentation?
thewonderer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thewonderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2012 at 22:48
Hi herecomesthesun has posted some sound advice above. I've also worked for esprit I'd recommend the General assistant role as this is pretty varied and no cooking involved same with the hotel assistant as well. Lapland a good option with esprit i enjoyed it, then you get the chance to go to the ski resorts in january.
hope this helps
herecomesthesun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herecomesthesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2012 at 22:22
Hi

I have done the Esprit seasons and also worked for Eurocamp. I did have much more to do with food prep than with the camping although if you have cooked for a team of couriers this will stand you in good stead. Esprit will love that you have stuck to your seasons as well.

They will encourage you to get on the cooking course (it costs about Ā£500, some of which you get back at the end of the season) and that will give you loads of confidence. I DIDN'T do it and went into a smaller resort but then I only did the back half of the season.   As a result I found I had far more to do with the cooking than what I had bargained for. I still did it (just) and ended up baking the cakes, making Aperitif's, some starters and otherwise chopping veg. Not of course forgetting the washing up!

They give you a recipe book which is easy to follow. As a result I can now bake cakes and am now a bit more adventurous when it comes to cooking for myself now I'm back home. Many people that go out and run their own Chalet have barely cooked at all at home. 

If you go into a large resort with chalets of say 30-50 beds, you will have a Head Chef, and then you may be doing a bit less in the kitchen but will still never the less get involved, but overall someone that knows what they're doing.

Since you have done the Cleaning, it may be worth your while going for the Housekeepers role, its a little more responsibility with the cleaning checks. Hotel/chalet set up (which I have done before not with Espirt) is just like a huge montage clean, transfer day clenaing is a little bit more than a back to back, and room cleans well, easy....... If you've clean checked before, be pickier than you've ever been before on set -up at the start of the season.

The main difference is everyone gets the same day off (wednesday) and the shifts are a bit more split, its up early for breakfast, lunch is usually on a rota, and then everyones back in for evening meal, which usually about a 5-6pm start and approximately a 10pm finish.  Once you have spent several weeks preparing a 4 course meal and doing the washing up 6 days a week along with the cleaning, you will wonder why anyone ever whinges about cleaning the odd mobile or two! You will also thank god for fitted sheets (if they have them) rather than having to do hospital corners. 

Ski Total is the adult only group  side of the company. something they may ask you in interview, which esentially means you don't have do to lunch or Kids High Tea. Esprit also bought Inghams (or was it vice versa or just amalgamated?? not sure...)  a couple of years back, but I wouldn't know what that means job wise.  Half way through the season they will ask you about working a summer season for them, but pay wise its not much either so I decided against it cos campings a longer season and more money.

Esprit is definately one of the better companies to work for. The pay for pretty much all of  the UK companies is similar, but you really do get your accommodation, food, ski and boot hire and lessons with them. Some companies you really have to watch, but Espirt is Ok.  If you want ski lessons then book up and get in there as early as you can.

I worked in both Italy and Austria, and I could recommend both of them as they are both cheaper than the French and Swiss Alps. Overall I found the ski season harder than the camping one, but that was just because of the constant early morning starts. Its definatelty an experience I will never forget thats for sure! 

BTW - don't worry about baking cakes, its easy, even I can do it!!

Edited by herecomesthesun - 21 April 2012 at 15:29
u_peenarce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u_peenarce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2012 at 11:30
Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice. I just checked the esprit website and it says they are accepting applications. but i don't know what job to apply for. I will be working for eurocamp this summer, and am hopefully looking for a similar job with esprit, ie cleaning and what not. The problem is my cooking is rubbish! and al the jobs i find on their state about cooking. if they give me a menu with recipes then i should be fine, but as i dont know enough about esprit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic