FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wana do ski seoson but cant ski??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kr_xxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr_xxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wana do ski seoson but cant ski??
    Posted: 18 November 2006 at 00:24
hey iv just finished a summer season with eurocamp n had a wikid time...got the travelling bug now n wana do a ski season problem is iv neva skiid b4!! does it matter? can u learn while your there? r there jobs that dont require you to be able to ski???
n hap on this wud b great!
someoni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 01:57
Mate, im doing a season in Alp D'huez with Crystal, ive never been kiing, or boarding, but im gagging to get on a baord and learn, it doesnt matter about skiing experiend unless you are going for a ski guide/instructer role
kr_xxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr_xxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 23:33
kool was position u doing? also i cannot commit to a full season u fink any companies will employ me for a month or so around peak times such as easter or half term???
packtim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 04:08
Originally posted by kr_xxx kr_xxx wrote:

kool was position u doing? also i cannot commit to a full season u fink any companies will employ me for a month or so around peak times such as easter or half term???

I think you will do well to find a big tour op that will employ you for that period of time. You could go there and bum it, but it will cost you a lot of money.....you will have to buy either a seasons lift pass, or 2*2 week passes, which will be really expensive, pay for lessons, equipment. I think your best bet is to plan it out and go next season.

Im currently out in Whistler working for the mountain. They give you free ski/board lessons, cheap staff accommodation, a free lift pass, and generally have jobs that are a lot more flexible and may leave you a bit better financially off than if you work for tour ops. The downside is the flight prices. There are about 1200 staff working for the mountain though, so its all pretty sociable, and really good fun.
mancity07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mancity07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2006 at 17:01
can u tell me the website of that company u are working for at whistler please
packtim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 03:47
Originally posted by mancity07 mancity07 wrote:

can u tell me the website of that company u are working for at whistler please

Sure. A big company, Intrawest, runs all of the ski infrastructure for Whistler. They maintain the website www.whistlerblackcomb.com.

If you want to do a season out here there are 2 avenues that you can go down really.

1) Get a job with the mountain, get cheap rent in student like accommodation, free lift pass and staff discounts, with a job that pays $9-12 hr, although you have to work full time for them to stay in staff accommodation, so probably 4 days on 3 off or 5 on 2 off.

2)get a flight out here, join the accommodation mad rush, get a job that will pay better pay more for accommodation, but have more flexibility.

I have gone in route one, but there are quite a few people that got rejected by the mountain this year and had to do 2). If they accept you, 1 is a safer and more hassle free option, but Intrawest then has you by the balls. If you quit/get fired, you lose the lift pass, job, and accommodation, so you are back to square one.

If you are thinking of doing a season out here, go have a look at the forums on Natives.co.uk, there is a really good thread on there.

We have had 12ft of snow in November, so im loving it at the moment!   
jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 14:48
Originally posted by someoni someoni wrote:

Mate, im doing a season in Alp D'huez with Crystal, ive never been kiing, or boarding, but im gagging to get on a baord and learn, it doesnt matter about skiing experiend unless you are going for a ski guide/instructer role
jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 14:50
Hi mate can you tell me where you stayed and what the accomodation was like. cleanliness size loacation etc.
Many thanks Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic