FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Changes going on!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
pancellorum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancellorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Changes going on!
    Posted: 30 September 2012 at 16:50
Does anyone know whats going on with the Big Camping Companies?
Companies such Eurocamp, Keycamp, Canvas and Happy Camp are all remove large numbers of Mobile homes from Campsites in Italy from the Venice strip down to to the tip of Italy.
Some sites are a complete removal of all Mobiles, others are a big reduction in numbers. Some companies are removing them starting this week.
Could be a big reduction in positions for next Year.
Any Idea's????????

pancellorum
berlineretta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berlineretta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 20:22
I have heard that returning couriers next year will get a pay increase of approx 100% because of some EU law. I also heard that Canvas are sacking half of their couriers.

Does anyone have the skinny on this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancellorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 08:18
Hi Berlineretta
Thanks for that, thought something was going down.
If it's true about the Salaries then about time, I think the Companies have got away with this for to long and the Living accommodation situation.

Ciao
taffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 17:48

I have also been informed that Canvas have agreed to pay a decent wage but there will be a bigger ratio of courier-mobiles, so much more work. So less couriers on campsite's but more work for the ones that are there.  Obviously the pay and conditions is a good thing but some sites are overworked already so standards I would have imagined will go down.

I heard that holiday break are fighting the case so not sure what is happening with them.

The Guru

Where's Georgina?hope she enjoyed working at olympics!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancellorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 12:51
So, out of a 160 views, only 2 people have an opinion or have any information on this subject!
It's going to affect all those people applying for next year, ask questions when you go for the interviews , especially about the accommodation  benefit and the below minimum wage salary.

ricwig69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricwig69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 19:04
I had wondered when this was going to come about!

With regards to the accommodation costs, the direct gov website says:

From 1 October 2012, the maximum amount your employer can count towards NMW pay as an accommodation offset is:

£4.82 a day
    £33.74 a week

It makes no difference whether:

your employer takes rent out of your wages
    you have to pay rent to your employer after receiving your wages
    your employer simply provides the accommodation as part of a package

If the most that can be deducted is around £145 per month, then how come reps are being charged more than double that - often for a tent? And this is without going into the 'below minimum wage salary'!

Edited by ricwig69 - 12 October 2012 at 19:11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancellorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 16:32
Thanks ricwig69 for your contribution, good to hear another view on the subject.
The hours and minimum wage vary from company to company, as HC, Canvas etc they specify 35 hours a week in the contract so if you sign it you are agreeing to those hours for that salary. Where as Companies like Venue operate on 'Unmeasured working time. so they should pay the national minimum wage.....but don't.
Any one been working for similar companies, you can actually claim this back from the company even if you have left and it can go back 5 years. So Phone the 'pension and wages' phone line on the Government web site.  
As you say, the maximum for accommodation is £145 p/month, but have found this on the Government tax web site:
So a tent does not even count, the companies just put the benefit that they charge (£595 for HC) against their tax.

Is my living accommodation exempt from tax?

• managers of camping and caravan sites living on, or near to, the premises. are exempt.

ricwig69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricwig69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 18:16
Hi Pancellorum,

Even if an employee agrees to work for below minimum wage, it is still unlawful for an employer to pay below minimum wage (contract law falls under common law). From The Law Donut:

Can I pay an employee less than the minimum wage, if they are willing to accept it?
No. Workers cannot sign away their rights. If a worker is over 18, and not a family member living in the family home and working within the family business, you cannot pay them less than the national minimum wage — unless they are working for therapeutic reasons only, with no contractual obligation to work at all, and no right to any payment or benefit (ie they are a voluntary worker).

Taking legislation relating to both the wage and accommodation into consideration, I just cannot see how the UK companies are still able to pay well below their European counterparts. Perhaps this is the start of evening things up?

I agree that companies will cut staff to make up the shortfall, and standards will undoubtedly drop (difficult for HB & Canvas...); but if a business model relies on exploiting it's own staff, then surely it deserves to fail?

0781jamesc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0781jamesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 15:51
hi, new to the site, but done a fair few seasons.
do you think that u would still be able to claim back your wages even if you are working abroad,had a play around on the gov site its saying im in for a big winfall!!! when u add it up over many seasons.
anyone anymore info?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancellorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 08:06
yes, you can going back and reclaim for the last five years if you think you have been paid under the National Minimum wage. Write to your Company asking them for a copy of your records for your hours worked... they have 14 days to reply, if they do not or they cannot produce it, you can go to an Industrial tribunal.

bryony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 23:22
This is the first I've heard of this

Edited by bryony - 25 January 2013 at 17:08
jamieg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 07:50
Anybody else noticed how holidaybreak are only recruiting apprentice couriers and apprentice children's couriers, coud this be a way of getting around the legislation and therefore the way the industry is moving, I know they had some apprentices last year but this year all jobs are for apprentices and they are not recruiting external couriers unless as apprentices therefore those with degrees are no longer able to apply or those over 25 (unless they've changed their criteria)
ricwig69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricwig69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 09:46
Crafty, eh? Interesting how the companies are going to wriggle around the minimum wage if it is enforced. Mind, with regards to Happy Camp the legislation shouldn't relate as you work for them on a self-employed basis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancellorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 20:41
Yes, I understand 'Canvas' are not even recruiting yet as they have not sorted out how they will employ people yet!
A big caution to all you new recruits under 19yrs, the rate for apprentices for next year is £2.65, so as 'ricwig69' says, a crafty way for the Companies to wriggle round the minimum wage by employing couriers as apprentices. Your contracts will also say 35hr week but you will do well over that.

bryony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 00:08
Ah I proper fancied applying to be a children's courier for fun station this season. Decided to get myself sacked by Selectcamp this summer. AND THEY'RE REFUSING TO  TAKE ON ENGLISH STAFF NOW... 
kayleigho92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayleigho92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2012 at 17:42
A free way of getting a qualification at the end of the day! You won't find an apprenticeship in the UK like the Holidaybreak one. Worth it for the great experience and an opportunity to improve your skills.
raptorama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptorama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2012 at 21:25
Originally posted by jamieg jamieg wrote:

Anybody else noticed how holidaybreak are only recruiting apprentice couriers and apprentice children's couriers, coud this be a way of getting around the legislation and therefore the way the industry is moving, I know they had some apprentices last year but this year all jobs are for apprentices and they are not recruiting external couriers unless as apprentices therefore those with degrees are no longer able to apply or those over 25 (unless they've changed their criteria)

Actually it's to help their employees get MORE money...They get funding from the government for every apprentice, thats where the jump up in wages is coming from. Not being able to apply with a degree or being over 25 is just not true. I am over 25, I have a degree and have been asked to return to holidaybreak 2013 and informed of the wage change wich will be disclosed upon reciept of my paperwork.

This is a good thing and another reason why Holidaybreak are a great company to work for in camping...
jamieg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2012 at 22:39
Sorry if I'm mistaken, the age may have been extended if they managed to get funding but I know for a fact last year holidaybreak only offered the apprenticeship to under 25's

If you check the national apprenticeships website you will see that their is zero government funding for apprenticeships if you hold a degree, I know this as I currently work for a training provider and we offer apprenticeships, the lsc learning skills council also recently announced their is no consideration to change this at this time

I know holidaybreak are a great company as I have worked for them previously and if they are paying apprentices full wages good on them we will wait and see but I have a feeling this is only for returning staff and if you don't mind me asking are you returning as a courier or apprentice courier as there is a difference

As I said apologies if I am mistaken
raptorama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptorama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2012 at 23:00
Thats true, last year it was only available to under 25's. But now every member of staff unless already qualified has to work towards a qualification. Every courier position is now an apprentice courier position. Any senior position will now have to work towards The Institute of Leadership and Management Award unless already taken. (which is what I would be doing) Both returners and new staff have to complete a qualification, the only exemption is if they have done them before. 
ricwig69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricwig69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 09:44
Hi raptorama,

So would I be right in assuming that if you have already completed an apprenticeship, you will be paid  the NMW (c. £950 p/m)? Even with the MAXIMUM allowed deduction for accommodation, you should still come out with over £800 p/m.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic