FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISIA Quals in other Countries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RockyRaccoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockyRaccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISIA Quals in other Countries
    Posted: 21 November 2012 at 12:16
I've been skiing for 8 seasons now, and I've taken advice of friends and people I've met through that time. Unfortunately, most are instructors or reps and have a bit of a vested interest in what they tell me, so I thought I'd get an impartial opinion :P

Next year (either start of season in NZ in July, or start of season in Dec/Jan in France or Canada) I'm going to do a level 1&2 instructor course, either BASI in France, CSIA in Canada or NZSIA in NZ. On the face of it there should be no problems in, say, getting NZSIA qualifications and then teaching in Europe or North America with all these countries being part of ISIA, but is that actually the case? I'd be concerned about spending so much money and time gaining a qualification in Canada only to find that the Europeans were really snobby about who they took on as instructors. Is this ever the case?

I know the French can get a bit fussy, but I'd probably not teach in a French resort in all honesty; so aside from that can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Two othe questions:

1. Providing you get the qualfications, how "easy" is it to actually get a position as an instructor these days? I'm hearing a lot of guff from firms offering instructor courses that there is a 'worldwide shortage' of instrcutors and it's easy to find employment, but I'm not sure whether to take this as truth or whether it's just part of their sales patter to get you signed up!

2. Are qualifications 'interchangable'? As in, if I was level 2 qualified with CSIA and found myself doing a season in NZ, would I be able to take the step up to level 3 there, or would I need to go back to Canada?

Cheers in advance for any replies!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic