FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

car insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: car insurance
    Posted: 16 January 2013 at 23:45
hey

going out to france april time for alfresco and wanting to take my car but finding it hard to find a decent insurance quote or anyone to to cover me abroad for so long i was wondering if anyone could help me out with suggestions?

Smile ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.Smile ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
Smile ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
Seanf81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seanf81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 09:30
Hi,

Been having the same issues as you. The only two companies we've found are ajinsurance.co.uk and Stuart Collins.

Good luck!
Sean
tiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:21
It depends how old you are but NFU Mutual give all year round cover for Europe in all their policies I think.  Very good compny too if you have to claim.  
storja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 10:45
Hi Lizzie i also work for Al Fresco and will be taking my car this year, did you find any insurance. Where are you going to be based, i'm at Les Mediterranees Beach Club in Marsillan Plage
jani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 05:01
My husband & I have been offered a job with canvas holidays and want to take our car with us, as yet we dont know where we will be living but if we are employed for longer than 6 months, do we have to register the car in the country we are in or can we get away with keeping our uk plates as we probably wont be driving it around much whilst we are there.
Also any insurance companies anyone can recommend
tiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 21:38
Try NFU Mutual for all year round cover.  No need to register the car in France, just make sure you British MOT is up to date.
Seanf81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanf81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 14:24
Originally posted by jani jani wrote:

My husband & I have been offered a job with canvas holidays and want to take our car with us, as yet we dont know where we will be living but if we are employed for longer than 6 months, do we have to register the car in the country we are in or can we get away with keeping our uk plates as we probably wont be driving it around much whilst we are there.
Also any insurance companies anyone can recommend

Hi,

My wife and I are doing the same as you with Canvas. We have insured through Stuart Collins broker. They were the only company (Including NFU mutual) who would provide us with insurance while we were out. Not amazingly cheap, but only an extra 20 quid a month fully comp than we paid in the UK (which all things considered isn't too bad!) You do have to pay it all upfront though!

Thanks
Sean
jani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 15:10
Hi

thank you for your replies,  Sean when you say more than uk prices can i ask how much you have been charged, we have a nissan micra full no claims bonus both in our 50's and presently pay just over ¬£400, how much increase do you think there will be.
kayleigho92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayleigho92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 15:27
This was mentioned a while ago on the Holidaybreak facebook group so just thought I'd copy and paste here:

Cant remember who but someone was asking about european car insurance the other day?? Anyway basically if you go fully comp you will be covered for the standard 90 days abroad at fully comp level, then after you will be covered 3rd party only. Most companies wont tell you this!! all the info is on the government website here : https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad just call your insurance company and ask for them to send you a "green card" which is a european certificate of insurance! Have a good season and maybe see some of you out there!

Hope this helps!
Seanf81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanf81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 16:41
Hi Jani,

We paid just under 60 a month for insurance here (I'm in my early 30s) and it will now be just over 71 (sorry on strange keyboard where the sterling sign doesn't work!!!), so actually its about a 14 pound increase.

This was for a Honda CR-V with 5 years no claims (I lost my previously accrued no claims when I worked overseas without a car for a few yeasr!). So maybe it will only be about a tenner or so for you. They are good and the only company who would do such an extended period. The other companies with their 365 day cover would only do third party (we wanted fully comp) and every company basically said that the car has to be domeciled in the UK and the majority of your residence in the year has to be the UK. For us it wasn't worth the risk of going with a standard insurer becuae you know they would find a reason not to pay!

Hope that helps,
Sean
jani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 21:47
Hi 

Thanks sean, i have emailed asking for a quote

Maybe we will meet up at some point, where are you allocated and when do you leave

Seanf81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanf81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 13:48
No worries Jani,

We are off to the Cote d'azur. Head out (with our van and dogs) end of next week. Saw on the staff page that its snowing down there at the moment, so lets hope that changes! LOL

Maybe see you out there!
Sean
jani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 07:47
Hi

Got a quote and wasn't really any more than we paid for cover this year just for uk but now decided we might get a bigger car.
We received our confirmation letter and have been allocated to Atlantique in Brittany, good place to start for the first time as the weather will be cooler although we lived in Egypt for 3 years so are quite used to the heat.  Lets hope summer is better than last year and they don't get a lot of rain

Lucky you going next week, we have 4 weeks to go although we need that long to get organised and i have to work notice in my present job.

good luck

Jan
boothie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boothie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 19:08
Hey how did you find the staff page for cote d'azur?
lizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 20:12
hey im going out wednesday :) starting out on berny then me and the other half are heading over to carnac south brittany.... ive got training on the 11th in spain do a bit everywhere next week should be fun tho... i got insured with stuart collins in the end :)
jani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 22:29
Hi Lizzy

so we might be meet up in Brittany you never know, we  start on the 31/3/13, just waiting to hear about travel as they say place we will be sent to may change.

We are so excited we are bursting to get going (lol)
lizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 10:23
hey yeh if ya find your self anywere near the south brittany pop intocarnac i hear its quite ice anyway :) hope you have a good season :)
taffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 10:23
liverpool and victoria insure european cover as an extra for 6 months (LV) think I paid extra £20 or something but they were more expensive than other companies, but the other companies do not cover you abroad for 6months so do your research and get quotes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic