FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eurocamp Newbie 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
megrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eurocamp Newbie 2015
    Posted: 20 May 2015 at 22:36
Hello there, I have an interview soon to work as an Apprentice Holiday Courier with Eurocamp from July - September 2015 and was wondering if anyone could give me any more information about the whole process. For example.. what the interview entails? Smile and also do you get assigned a camp or have a choice? Sorry for all the questions it'll be my first time with Eurocamp. 
Thanks.
megrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 22:52
Also any info about accommodation would be greatly appreciated?
Chloeanntaylorx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloeanntaylorx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:18
Hi,

I'm going out sometime in July to be an apprentice courier, the interview process was pretty relaxed which was great, they're all really friendly! You will do a group task which is like a mini competition making an animal out of newspaper and then you will have individual interviews, they're not that formal so you basically just have a conversation with them Accomodation is a tent which you will share with someone else but they look fine and you will have plenty of space

Good luck, hope you get the job!
AFC FAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFC FAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 13:03
Apprenticeships are terrible.You will be paid a lot less money than people around you doing THE SAME WORK. 
NVQ's are generally accepted to be pretty worthless (especially with something like Tourism, where experience is valued) and only really benefit the employer. It might be worth looking at working for another company who will pay you properly for the work you do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloeanntaylorx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 13:35
Well for most of us we will be going out for the experience rather than the money
AFC FAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFC FAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 14:03
That attitude helps no one.

Extra money would pay for extra experiences at the end of your season. 

Would you do the job for free?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloeanntaylorx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 21:31
Yeah I probably would actually, and I was just pointing out not everyone does it for money. Places like Camp America actually make you pay money for the same kind of experience, now that's a forum you should go to and tell them it's a terrible idea to pay for the experience
AFC FAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFC FAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 04:07
Camp America are terrible too.

Try to remember that not everyone is privileged enough to be able "do it for the experience". Besides, wouldn't doing the same job for another company be pretty much the same experience? Might even be a better experience? MY point was that there are other companies to work for, and as I've also mentioned having more savings at the end of the season would only be a good thing (you could pay Camp America to go work for them).

If you are prepared to work for free I suggest you do it for a charity, not a huge, for profit company that exploits young people.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloeanntaylorx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 07:50
Let's just agree to disagree, this forum's supposed to be for people who want to/have worked for them.
AFC FAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFC FAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 09:25
"Camping in Europe Chat" not "Working for Eurocamp Chat"

There is literally no downside to being paid properly. You get the experience and more money. I was just trying to let the original poster know that there are alternatives (most of them better) to doing an apprenticeship for Eurocamp. 

If everyone thought like you then they'd still be getting paid a hundred quid a week cash in hand for a sixty hour week and sharing a tent with three other people all season.

emzybabe007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emzybabe007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 08:14
Just seen this and I can't believe what I have just read. AFC fan you do not appreciate the incredible opportunity available to young people in the camping industry especially with a reputable company like Eurocamp.

Firstly the ability to travel within areas of Europe with return flights paid for, a decent wage that is absolutely livable off if you don't squander your money on material goods and save it for a decent day off experience not to mention that meeting people and making friends for life is priceless. My best friends in this world are people I met seasonal work like this

The pay enables you to eat, the experience enables you to really live. Comparing it to other jobs who don't have set working hours isn't fair as different companies offer different packages but they are incomparable because some you may get paid more but you do work 60 hours a week!!

Why put people off with the negative attitude? It's the best experience I've ever had!
AFC FAN11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFC FAN11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 13:09
Before I reply properly to your comments I'd like to know that I've been doing this camping stuff for 18 years, worked 3 companies during that time and been to most of the countries they operate in. I am currently working for Eurocamp and I'm quite happy, even though I might have come across as a bit of a Negative Nelly.

I wasn't even going to bother writing anything because as soon as anyone in this forum talks about getting paid a good wage or better living conditions they are immediately shouted down with cries of "DON'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY!" or "IT'S CAMPING, GET OVER IT!"

If the experience you're looking for is working for Eurocamp then of course you have to get a job with them. If the experience you're looking for is to travel, meet new people and get drunk with friends then how is working for any other company different? In your second paragraph is there anything you mentioned that the other big companies don't provide?
What if living in a tent all summer doesn't appeal to me (megrc asked about accommodation so he/she might want to know all their options)? What if I want to buy material things that will contribute towards my decent day off? Money pays for train tickets and boat trips.What if I'm planning a round the world trip and need to save as much as possible during the season? Should I be made to feel guilty because I value my time?
Don't get me wrong, I didn't start doing this job for the money (I don't think anyone has). I too, have many friends for life that I've met through this job, but there are things I wish I'd known when I started. 
My point still stands though. There is no downside to getting paid more.

"Comparing it to other jobs who don't have set working hours isn't fair as different companies offer different packages but they are incomparable because some you may get paid more but you do work 60 hours a week!!"

Let's do a comparison of your incomparability:

Job A offers £700 p/m at an average of 35 hrs a week. 
Job B offers £900 p/m at an average of 60 hrs a week. 

I know which I'd pick.

If you know of companies making their staff work sixty hours a week I suggest you contact the relevant authorities. There are minimum wage laws now. As a side note to this how do you think those set working hours came about? Do you think it was through people doing the "YOLO! I'll do it for free! #BESTSUMMEREVAAAAH" thing on an internet messageboard?

Here's another comparison (please correct me if any of this is drastically wrong):

Eurocamp Apprentice: ~£650 p/m, live in tent (possibly a mobilehome), average 35 hours a week. NVQ bonus if completed.

Canvas single rep: ~£1400 p/m, live in tent (possibly a mobilehome), average 40 hours a week.

AlFresco rep: ~£1000 p/m, live in a mobilehome, average 35 hours a week. (Customers pay cleaning deposit)

Siesta holidays rep: ~£600 p/m (+commision from excursion sales), live in a mobilehome, average 40 hours a week.

Vacancesolieil: ~ 1000 euros a month, live in tent, average 45 hours a week. (This company also uses "interns" who get paid a disgraceful ~300 euros a month.

There are Facebook pages for lauding "the incredible opportunity" that these companies offer. Those pages are much more appropriate places to talk about how great your summer was.
This forum should be a place for newbies to get ALL the information about these companies. Pros and cons. Just because you've had the best experience of your life doesn't that everyone else will and providing alternatives can only be a good thing, variety is the spice of life and all that jazz.

I'd like to apologise to MEGRC for hijacking the thread, sorry.

I look forward to replies to this comment although I'd encourage everyone to take a step back from their personal loyalties before they write something. If you really "can't believe" that someone on the internet might have a different opinion and political views than you then maybe you should experience more experiences ;-)

#YOLO #DOITFORTHELOLZ!

p.s. might be some spelling or grammar mistakes, it's late and I'm ten beers deep (33s are killer).
marjudo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marjudo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 13:40
Thank you for all your advises. It was very useful. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic