FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avoid 4Fun at all costs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Repping123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repping123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avoid 4Fun at all costs
    Posted: 19 August 2017 at 12:18
Hey guys. I wanted to be a hotel animator/entertainer for years but the timings were never right. However this year it finally worked out and late June I flew out to Majorca. I was not naive going into it all. I knew it would be long hours and I knew it would be tiring however it was a really horrible experience and I think the company is mainly to blame.

The contract is quite vague. It doesn't really specify the hours you will work or really any parts of the job apart from they can change your role based on the companies' needs. Before I flew out I spoke to a lady called Jacky who did my Skype interview and was very nice however I was misled by her (as were many others who I met out there).

When I asked about the accommodation Jacky told me I would share a room with one other. This wasn't great for me as I knew I'd be working with people all day and wanted my own space to get away from everyone for a few hours but I was willing to put up with it for the job. When I got there I was shown my room. There were three other people in it and I was told I would be sleeping on the top of a bunk bed! We also had to share a shower and toilet with another room of 3. This was my first time away from home and you can imagine how unsettling it is to put all your trust in a company and then to be hit with a massive lie as soon as you arrive. And a lie that you will have to put up with for the remainder of your time there. I messaged Jacky later and told her about the room situation to which she replied, "hey - I know that was my mistake - it is not in each hotel we had 2 beds ( I don't remember if I told you or not) but I hope it's not a problem". 

The head animator told me I could have the first day off to go to the beach and explore but she would come collect me later for dinner. I had a shower and then left to get my bearings but when I came back an hour later I was locked out of my room and couldn't find any of the team. Eventually I found her and she told me that usually we do not lock the rooms because there is only one key per room which in my opinion is terrible, especially when they do not give us a safe for our passport or any other valuables.

Later I met a guy who arrived the same day as me and again, Jacky had told him all the things she told me.

I did the job for three weeks in total. I may have done longer just for my own pride however the last week I kept getting ill with fever. The hotel I was at had a lot of complaints about food poisoning and other illnesses but a month since I got home and I've only just recovered today. The majority of the team were Italian and their English was very limited. Again, I was told there would be a few English people. I don't think the team were nasty people, maybe a bit cliquey however I do feel they weren't very welcoming. I can't complain so much as I don't speak any language other than English however most of them could get by but they just didn't really want to. We had to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner together and usually I'd have to sit there and listen to them all speak Italian and rarely they would ask me anything. I think it was mainly the language barrier however I am confident if I could speak a little of another language and there was someone that couldn't understand myself and a group, I would include them.

Since I was there, at least 4 people came and went but someone told me since April, 14 people had quit the job.

One day I started work at 9:30am and didn't finish til around 2:15 in the morning with about 30 minute rest as we had to rehearse for a show during our lunch.

I was told I would be an 'all-round entertainer' in the hotel. So I expected to be doing all of the day time activities like table tennis, water-polo, etc however they told me I would be working in the kids club. I have never worked with kids before and had I known I would have never accepted the job but I said I would do it for a day and then see how I feel. I did actually enjoy it and the days did go quick however it's not acceptable to indicate someone will be doing a certain job before they fly to another country only to make them do something different which they may not be comfortable with when they arrive. Yes, the contract may state that they can change your role based on the companies' needs but if you don't respect me and your promises to me prior to flying out for the job, then I will not respect you which is why I broke my contract and refused to give any notice before I left. In the contract it states if you don't give notice then you must pay $900 euros and the head animator refused to give my passport to me unless I gave her the money so I called the police to the hotel and had to get it back that way. The company never contracted me for the money, probably because they know they have no right to expect their employees to follow policies if they themselves do not.

4Fun give their employees one day off a week however a few members of staff were with Acttiv who gave their employees a day and a half off and in general had better working conditions. Also, the Acttiv team seem to get paid a lot more money. I didn't do the job for the pay as it was about half the salary of the job I left it for however if you think that the Acttiv team do less hours with better working conditions, it's pretty discouraging. 4Fun also do not pay you for the first week as they call it a 'training week' but again, maybe me being a little naive and thinking it would be a great adventure and a positive experience, I wouldn't mind. You also do not get a day off the first week so you have to wait around 14 days until your first day off.

If you check 4FUN's Facebook page the reviews are either 5* or 1*. There isn't really ant other ratings. I think that tells you a lot. I've seen a few 5* reviews from some of the staff I worked with who I knew hated the company and how they were treated.

I would really advise everyone to avoid the company. The staff were completely miserable and most of them just don't want to break their contracts and that's the only reason they are putting up with it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic