FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ski season in Banff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rolobonkers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolobonkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ski season in Banff
    Posted: 22 August 2005 at 00:56
i dont know if im totally mad so you have to help me here!! I am planning on heading to banff to do a ski season with no accommodation, work or visa but i will have a weeee bity of the old buckies! Is this all together stupid or will i be okay? Has anyone got a job in banff without a visa?? I have tried to get one sorted but its just such a nightmare so i have given up on that. Also does anyone know if you need to have a return flight booked and sorted before they let you into canada?
Many thank yous

Roland
anto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 01:21
i'm in pretty much the same position...planning on going to bc area. i have a work visa though. you need one of those if you want to work i'm pretty sure (thats what the consulate and travel agents all say anyway).

does anyone know the best way of contacting the resorts??? i can't seem to find any links on the websites...

thanks a million
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2005 at 06:35
anto you made your plans yet?
samiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 02:30
im heading over in november but ive also got a working visa
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 02:39
i spent the 04/05 ski season living and working in banff,
if anyone likes i'd be happy to give any stories, photos, advice, tips etc.
malibulucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibulucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 00:07
ive also done a year in lake louise-next town up so am happy to give info on there too. Clivestar where did you work in banff?

honestly though if you can get yourselves a visa its much easier and you will enjoy it for what it really is then!

but good luck

Luc x
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 00:17
Luc - was workin' up at the 'ol sunshine village. did the odd few days skiing at the Lake, scammed the free bus on thursdays. otherwise it was all too easy just to ski sunshine everyday. you check it out?
splinta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splinta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 16:51
I am in Banff at the moment and have been for the past 3 months. I am considering working on the hill. ie. sunshine or L.L. Or perhaps going to whistler. Does anybody of well paid jobs in the area. Or can recommened a good company with perks to work for? The pay here is sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 22:04
hey splinta,

i think you'll find the pay below average most places,
though the starting wage at sunshine has gone up from
$6.50 an hour last year to $7, apparently. check out their
website at www.skibanff.com

to be honest if i had my time again i'd get a night job
serving in town, better pay plus tips, and that leaves
your days free to ski/ride all day, whether it's your day
off or not. true working for the hill gets you your ski pass,
which is good for another 10 or so ski resorts (not that you can get to them easily or cheaply unless you or your buddy has a car), but financially i think it would have worked out better forking out for a season pass (around $600 i think, check that on the site) but earning more.

a good few upsides to working on the hill is the social
scene. there's definately an awesome comradery between
ski resort crew, there's a concentration of young people from all over the country and the world (mostly australia and nz though, but australia day rocks!) and for social reasons alone i'd probably still want
to do a day or two a week at the resort.

another plus is
getting in with rental crew that can get you free/discounted
tuning/wax, trail crew or ski patrol that know awesome runs and jumps etc.

just weigh it all up i guess, flick me an email though
if you want to hear anymore about it mate

good luck!
samiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 02:21
ive never skied before but im looking for work in a resort, hopefully. what do you think my chances would be? or any ideas on where my best bets to try are? im not really fussed what i work as. im not getting over there until late november and im also going on my own so im looking for something where ill meet lots of people
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 03:10
i take it you're lookin to learn to ski though sam? work
prospects
would be fairly decent i'd say, especially if you don't care
too much about what work you're lookin' to do.

you goin' to banff? i've posted a few things already as
you might have read, the way sunshine village
(and most ski resorts for that matter) works is they
have a job fair mid to late october, i think it's around
the 22nd or 23rd this year (check the website www.skibanff.com)

it's basically a huge interview fest where you'll usually end
up talking to two or more supervisors from different
departments lookin' to hire for the season.

staff training starts the week before opening (11th nov
i think) and everyone's away.

don't be put off arriving later in the season though,
the snow generally gets better closer to the new year,
and there's always positions opening during the season
as some people realise the life isn't for them or they're
not doing as well as they'd like money wise, or the get
a better paying job in town - whatever.

you'll definately meet a lot of fun people, and don't worry
a lot of resort staff are just learning to ski or board. the
downside i found was that i was coming to canada hoping
to get a good cultural experience, but it's tough to do with
so many aussies, kiwis, and a few token brits as opposed
to canadian locals. they're mostly working in jobs that
actually pay, while we're there to see the snow and the
get the experience of it all - which was awesome by the
way, wish i could have that time back again!
malibulucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibulucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 15:54
clivestar- yeah i skied sunshine twice-preferred it to LL as i was a total beginner and the wiwaxy run at LL is so NOT a green run plus its so freaking long!
but i have to disagree (as always) maybe its coz i was in a smaller place but i was the only brit and only 2 other auzzies so there was definately a more canadian influence, maybe like i said it was where i worked and who i knew but 90% were canadians i would definately agree with working a night job (bar/restaurant) as this is the way to earn money-fine you dont get your ski pass etc but what is the point in having it if you only ever get 2/3 hours a day to use it working at night i got to ski whenever i wanted. plus earnt soooo much

im missing it so much still

Luc
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 19:47
well luc you definately lucked out with the local factor there, all in all, the quality of life stayin' in banff definately
made it worth it!
boarder_911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boarder_911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 02:29
hey there clivestar
alot of great advice there mate. Sounds like Banff is the place to be hey. Well this will be my first year heading over to canada to work party and board. Just wondering if you can hook us up with some info about a working visa. I mean can you go to the job fair you talked about without a visa or do you need to have one before you can attend the job fair. Can you get a job at the fair and then get a working visa. And also does the job fair cover all sorts of jobs from actually working for a banff ski resort to down in the village with private employment like in bars or something. Can you help explain all this to me please. Thanks alot.
clivestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 12:34
hey boarder_911,

yes banff definately rocked, its a beatiful town, and everyone i've talked in the states or u.k. have been very envious of me when i tell them that i worked a season there.

as far as your visa goes i'll assume you're between 18-30 yrs old and have not had a work visa for canada before, which makes you eligable for a 1 year working holiday visa, it's a once off thing that you can get, and is usually the way most aussies get over to canada to do a ski season (returning staff often get sponsored visas through their employers, or sometimes you can get in on a student visa type thing)

so you'd probably want to enter the country on that visa as opposed to coming in on a tourist one. i can almost gaurantee that once you're in canada it is next to impossible to organise a work visa, it usually needs to all
be arranged from home

i wouldn't suggest going to canada without a work visa if
you're looking to get a gig at a resort. they won't hire you
without one.
you will also eventually need what's called a SIN number (their equivalent to our TFN), but that you can do when you get to canada.

i won't go into it all too much, but check out the link below for some info:

http://www.workingholidayguru.com/directory/directory.php/Ca nada/1._Visa_Information/1._Visa_Information.htm

and you can actually print off a copy of the visa application form at:

http://www.whpcanada.org.au/

the long and short of getting a 1 year holiday working visa is to pretty much fill in and send off the application form along with a cheque for $50 or whatever it is now, a passport sized photo and you're away. took all of a couple of weeks. that said, sooner done the better as they do have a quota of only 7500 holiday work visas that they issue to aussies every year (upped from 5000 a couple of years ago).

well good luck with all that mate, hope you find it useful...

clive
Lotus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 04:41
Hi, not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but thought I would check in anyway. I did a season in Fernie 4 years ago and ever since have been dreaming about going back..and this year I am ...but can't decide where to go! I have heard Banff is heaps of fun...but that the accomo situation is rough - i.e its hard to find rooms - does anyone know about that? Also, I will be 25 when I get to Canada, and was just wondering what the general age of people in Banff was - in Fernie most people I knew seemed to be 19-23ish...Also - anyone been to Golden??
cybelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 13:21
hi,

Im heading over to banff to work this coming winter 08. I have already got my flight booked and i have my working visa permit. Im just wondering if you could help with how i can obtain my tax file number(social security) and how i go about opening a bank account. I was advised by a worked that during Oct they have a massive job fair in banff. Are their any specific questions i could ask employers regarding subsidized accommodation and food? which would you suggest be better to work at, in banff town or on the snow resort?

much appreciated for your help

Cy
kaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 02:21
Hey guys me and a mate got a job at Sunshine for the ski season, I Start early Nov me mate comes in a week or so after me.
Only thing is accommodation Im trying to find a small town house or unit in Banff or Canmore, I tink thats the only places near Sunshine Village, notting to fancy but safe, two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, lounge and electrical appliances (pretty much everything you would need)
Basic though looking at not paying more then $500 each a month? just to get set up, not worried about sharing houses or anything we just need a place to stay for the season.
Any help or contacts would be great

Kaz
Moorsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moorsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 17:11
Hi there,

I have just registered and have read all the blogs and comments. I am looking to do a ski season in banff, I cannot ski or snowboard but am guessing this is pretty easy to pick up once your out there. Does the fact that I dont have any expereince in it hinder what job I could get?

Does it matter if you cant attend the open days in october?

Are you able to travel arounf parts of canada after the seasons end or do vias's not allow this?
Does anyone know of any good sites to apply to or any conatcts. When appying for camp america there are certain web sites with apllications is there something similar for ski season work ? I am really just wanting to do it as i have heard mnay people say how good they are, but am a tad worried about the lack of snow experience I have! I have worked on reception and in bars for years though so I could do this!!

Hope some one can help, if easier send me a qucik email....sorry about the ridiculos address its an old email account I made years ago but my more simple relvent hotmail account couldnt be registered for asome reason.

Thanks for any help.
thebigdogg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebigdogg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 21:12
does anyone know if you HAVE to be 18 at the time of applying for a working visa full stop or can you get one younger? im hopefully going for a ski season this winter but im not 18 until july... any help please....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic