FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First ski season... Any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AmyEll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyEll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First ski season... Any advice?
    Posted: 01 October 2008 at 15:48
Hi there, I am going for my first ski season at the end of November... Im hoping to go to les menuires not to sure tho.
Anyway I was looking for any advice anyone could offer me on like must brings or what to expect.

Is there any items that when you were out there you thought I could really do with that or something that you thought really helped you out there?
I was thinking lots of gloves, scarfs, hats n flufy socks.

Also ski stuff.. Iv never skied before n was wondering what should I buy n where from... is it best to buy befor I go in London or when I get out there?

Cheers peeps.. Lots love x x
hamblino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamblino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 13:55
Hey
I am in the exact same situation as you!!! I am due to leave at the end of November and havent got a clue what to expect from the winter season!! I am very excited about going but also a little nervous as well as i dont know what to expect. I have never skiied before either!!!
Where abouts are you going??
Paul :)
AmyEll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyEll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2008 at 07:31
I dont really know.. I think th efrench speaking one.. menuires or something? Where bouts you wanna go?
XxX
carrie18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2008 at 17:17
hey, who did u guys get jobs with? im jus bac from a summer season n lookin 2 get bac out 4 sum fun in the snow
hamblino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamblino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 12:18
Hey,
Im working for family ski company as an activity leader. Find out my resort next week but definetly know ill be in the French Alps, just not sure where yet. Started to get both excited and nervous as its only 5 weeks away now!
Paul
leigh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 13:58
Im going out for my first ski season in Jan but I done a summer already, i'm going with ski esprit.
I been skiing before but i think i'm going to buy all my ski stuff out there.
You'll need a good coat though before you go..I think i'll take my ski coat if it still fits.
And waterproof shoes b4 you go too.
Rosidee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosidee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 17:21
Buy before you go! everything is twice as expensive in ski resorts and no better quality than at home.

buying skis and boots out there is worth considering though cos then if you have any problems with them during the season you can go back to the shop and usually they will fix it for you whereas if you havent bought from them they can be quite difficult about fixing stuff for you cheaply.

waterproof shoes with good grips are essential unless you plan on walking round in ski boots all season.

take plenty of jumpers and fleeces as it can be very cold on the top of the mountain and goggles are a good investment for snowy days.

rosie
Kaiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 10:37
I would agree with Rosie, buy as much kit in England as possible, France is already more expensive than England and your pounds won't go far over here.

One thing I would say though is that if you find some skis or boots you like DON'T buy them in resort where they cost fortunes, go to Ekosport in Frontenex near Albertville for them. They are usually last seasons colours, but we all know it's not the colour that makes them go faster! You can even get them in their ebay shop and they deliver for €20! Well worth a look.

(Sorry I have been evangelising about these guys for a while, but I need the shop to continue until I need some kit!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic