FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

working a season in whistler 06/07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gemma07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemma07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: working a season in whistler 06/07
    Posted: 19 January 2006 at 16:14
Hi i know this is a little early but i have recently applied for a working visa for canada...and i'm hoping to do a ski season in whistler 06/07..i've never done a season before and i'm wondering if anybody knows how hard it is to get work and accomodation out there??..i was planning on heading out november time..but have read that alot of the recruitment fairs happen in october...does anyone have any tips or advice or know any employers i could contact before setting off...i'm planning on going out alone, which is is kinda scary without having anything sorted prior...any help or advice will really help..thank you
AngelaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 09:19
Hey, I'm going to whistler to work the winter season of 06/07 as well. I am just as scared as you are. I'm probably going over in October to go to the job fair.
joesnowy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joesnowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2006 at 09:31
hi guys i dont know if this will help but it depends on how old you are i am 32 and tryed to get in last year and really struggled, the problem seems to be in less you have a ability they need they wont give you a visa, so just imagine how many local people ski.
in saying that if your younger it maybe alot easier, anyway the best news is it is FANTASTIC the snow is amazing the people are great night life is out of this world lots of fun to be had.
hen i was out there a guy told me that he got a job buy so call going on holiday found a job then got his canadain employer to sort the visa.

hope this helps a little

and dont get to

malibulucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibulucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2006 at 09:34
if you get a visa then that is half your battle over. the best bet would be to head out to the job fair though when i was there in december there was still lots of work the only issue was housing. there just wasnt enough accomodation to accomodate the huge number of people wanting to live and work there, a lot of the employers wouldnt give you a job unless you had accomodation and not many of them provided accomodation for you so there was work but no where to live!! the earlier you get out there the better is my advice- expect to share a house if not a bed room and dont expect it to be wonderful i visited a shared house and it was a 4 bedroom and there was 9 of them living there!
if you have your heart set on whistler then good luck and i hope you find work and a place but if you are just going for the skiing and have heard that whistler is the place to be then i would also encourage you to have a look at some of the other resorts in British Columbia and Alberta- they have just as good skiing imo without the expense and feel of whistler (i found it was very snobbish) whistler was nice to have visited but i wouldnt of swapped it for where i was at any time!

Luc x
laurieacs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurieacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 21:44
Hey,
I'm from the UK too, I live in Edinburgh.
I've got my visa, planning to head out for the job fair, which is the last week of October i think.
not got a clue where I'm going to live or work...pretty scary, but exciting!
Laura
xx
emla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2006 at 05:02
Hi all, I知 from Australia, I too am going alone to work in Canada and I have already got my working visa. I was looking at going with the OWH program, they set you up with a job here in Aust. or London before you go. Because I知 traveling around Europe for 2 months before I get to Canada I don稚 want the worry of running out of money with no job lined up.

I知 thinking of going to Whistler; I holidayed there at end of Feb 2004 and loved the atmosphere. I致e heard Banff and Lake Louise have better snow but then everyone has their preferences.

I know a girl who worked there last season and loved it. She went to the job fairs and got a job in the first round, her friend got a job in the second round. I値l be seeing her next week so I値l ask her about the accommodation and tips so I can pass them on.

Emmy
Ateam-danger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ateam-danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2006 at 16:21
Hey emal. im also form oz and also on the OWH program and also going to europe before i go to whilster.. no sh*t. strange...!
anyway what job are you going for.. i really have no idea what i want. so i almost ticked all the boxes on the application form..

dan..

Originally posted by emla emla wrote:

Hi all, I知 from Australia, I too am going alone to work in Canada and I have already got my working visa. I was looking at going with the OWH program, they set you up with a job here in Aust. or London before you go. Because I知 traveling around Europe for 2 months before I get to Canada I don稚 want the worry of running out of money with no job lined up.

I知 thinking of going to Whistler; I holidayed there at end of Feb 2004 and loved the atmosphere. I致e heard Banff and Lake Louise have better snow but then everyone has their preferences.

I know a girl who worked there last season and loved it. She went to the job fairs and got a job in the first round, her friend got a job in the second round. I値l be seeing her next week so I値l ask her about the accommodation and tips so I can pass them on.

Emmy
danwaldek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danwaldek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 18:56
Hi there,
I'm also British and am heading out to whistler for the 06/07 season!! Nice to know that there are plenty of friendly people also doing the same thing...
I'm heading out to Vancouver in October to check things out work wise and have got accom sorted from dec. (using seasonit.co.uk)
As for work visa's i've gone through bunac - if you are a student, or have just finished as a student, then you can still get work visas through them.
would be good to get to know some faces over in whistler if any one is interested.
my msn is danielwaldek@hotmail.com
Dan
snowboardershel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowboardershel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:26
Hello
I have done two Whistler seasons and can tell you that you will have a great time!!!

Accommodation can be a nightmare to find, especially if you are going in November. If you are finding something private, you can be up against 10 other people who want accommodation just as bad as you. Therefore, my suggestion for a worry free trip would be to get there in October when the Whistler job fare is, get a job with the mountain, and get into HOUSE accommodation. If it is your first season, you are illegible for staff accomm in HOUSE. It is much cheaper than other accomm and easier to get at the start of the season.

As for Visa, my partner and I just got the normal working holiday visa from immigration. You should just do this yourself its really easy and stay away from the agencies. If you have good experience in hospitality or are presented well, you will get a job. I would recommend working for the mountain as you get a free ski pass with it. Other off the mountain jobs rarely include ski passes.
Pay is crap, but who cares, you will be in for a fun time.

If anyone has any specific Q's about Whistler, I am happy to answer them>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowboardershel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:35
Another suggestion.

The majority of people who go to the job fares i Whistler want to work as a Lifty, ski technitian or retail. This means that there could be 500 people going for 100 jobs. If you have lots of money to tide you over until you get the perfect job, apply for the better jobs. However if you don't have a lot of money, apply for the jobs that noone else particularly wants such as kitchenhand or busser and you will probably get a job sooner and won't risk missing out first time round. Then you can get straight into staff accommodation and have a worry free time. It can be VERY stressful not knowing when you will get a job and when you will find accommodation.

At the 2004/5 job fares there were huge lines running atleast 300 metres. A heard that half of the people missed out. Best tips for jobs would be bring your resume, dress appropriately for an interview (ie, if you dress like a punk usually, don't dress that way for the interveiw - its just one day!), speak well and have a freindly disposition. Most of the available positions are for customer service positions, so a good first impression counts.

If anyone has any Q;s, please feel free to ask!
alecl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alecl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 19:00
Originally posted by snowboardershel snowboardershel wrote:

Another suggestion.

Best tips for jobs would be bring your resume, dress appropriately for an interview (ie, if you dress like a punk usually, don't dress that way for the interveiw - its just one day!), speak well and have a freindly disposition. Most of the available positions are for customer service positions, so a good first impression counts.

If anyone has any Q;s, please feel free to ask!

How smart is appropriately? In the UK it's general practice to go for suit - would this be too much for standing in a queue in Whistler?

Not going this coming season but next (have it all planned out!)
laurieacs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurieacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 00:07
Help!

I am registering for House accom and have NO IDEA how to choose between the different houses of Glacier. I've been told Brio is really nice, but it doesn't do single rooms and I think I want my own space (or am just not prepared to risk waiting to find out who I could be sharing with!!)...so Glacier will be my first choice, but there are FIVE different houses and I can't find any info on the differences. Random choice????

Any help hugely appreciated!

P.S. booked my interview at the recruitment fair today. Very excited!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowboardershel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 01:14
There a about 5 different House accommodations, but the best in my opinion is Glacier, due to its location. It is on snow, and none of the others are. There is also a bus that goes to Glacier regularly, and also the Gondola which goes down to the village is about 100 metres away. By far the best choice. You can get your own room, but will have to share the apartment with others. Glacier houses most of the Whistler employees, including some of the local hotel workers.

laurieacs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurieacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 09:50
Thank you so much for replying, and so quickly!

You have helped a lot, I will definitely request Glacier. I don't mind sharing an appartment at all, but sharing a room was concerning me a little....

The only other thing I was confused about, is that you can select from different houses/blocks within Glacier (so you can select two different ones as your first and second choices) and I don't know the difference. They are Overlord, Bluevault, Shudder... err there are 2 more but I can't get onto the webpage at the moment to find them.

Do you know anything about the differences between them, to help me choose?

Thanks a lot :-)
Laura

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowboardershel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 12:13
I am not completely sure about the other accommodations - sorry. All I know is that they are targeted towards different groups. Ie, some are for 2nd years, some are for people with families etc. You should get Glacier though as it houses probably about 1000 people in 4 to five housing blocks in the one area.

Hope you have fun!!
brandnewplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandnewplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2006 at 05:51
hey. its probably a bit late now, but i am also from Oz and went through the OWH program. its was super easy, got a retail/rental job no sweat and all the accom sorted too. seems like the best way to guarantee your job plus the season pass. cant wait to get over there. best of luck guys, see you there.
chris.baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2006 at 15:37
Hi,

i am also on the same boat as alot of people. i have got my student visa and have booked my flights to get out to Vancouver for the 14th of November. Unfortunatly i cant get out there any earlier as my university decided to hold my graduation ceremony on the 10th of November! this means i am missing the fair which i am a little worried about but i have applied to become a childrens ski instructor which apparently i can almost sort out before i get to Canada but it means you have to spash out on a training week but it looks good and it is working direct for the mountain!

i was wondering if anyone can recommend a hostel in Vancouver for me and my friend to stay in while i sort out my BUNAC training day and get bank accounts sorted and stuff?a lively one would be good

me and my friend live in Reading and if there is anyone around us it would be cool to know! feel free to add me to messenger - blib13@hotmail.com

oh and also has anyone had any experience of a possible trip down to mexico for spring break time, looks like fun!

bring on the skiing!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic