FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHAT IS TEFL/TESOL??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TiaRanei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiaRanei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHAT IS TEFL/TESOL??
    Posted: 01 February 2006 at 13:12
can i ask what is the difference between the two and also how you would find jobs at the end of doing a course. also i would like to go to saudi arabia or egypt to teach english so which course would be the right one to do???
oreodo34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreodo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2006 at 15:24
Tefl International seems to have a pretty cool program located in Egypt. http://www.teflcourse.com/specials/alexandria/

(I am going to do a TEFL Int'l. course this October in Bordeaux, FR).

Also, I have a friend that teaches English in Syria. If you want more information about that, let me know. She'd be more than happy to help you out, I'm sure.
Chris Westergaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Westergaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 13:23

Pete is completely correct. TEFL and TESOL are pretty much the same concept. There are some slight differences, but not regarding courses. Your best bet is to take a course that has teaching practice and is at least 120 hours in length. Most courses should have job assistance to help you find work after the course. With us, we help write CV's, practice demo lessons, get you in contact with hiring schools and have schools recruit our graduates. Most schools should have something like this, but it is wise to check exactly what is offered.

Cheers,

Chris
catherineluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catherineluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 18:06
Hey there,

Well basically TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language and is an internationally recognised qualification that will enable you to teach English overseas. Generally this abbreviation is used in the UK and Europe.

TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, it's very similar and really almost the same thing but is what people in the USA and non European countries use to refer to teaching English overseas. It may also require a slightly lower level of English i.e. not fluency but for s specific purpose, an employer asking an employee to learn English for example.

For more information this is a great website:

http://www.onlinetefl.com/

Hope this helps!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic