FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clubbing in Ibiza

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resort Reviewer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Resort Reviewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clubbing in Ibiza
    Posted: 31 July 2004 at 10:51
Raid Strips Party Island of Ecstasy

Ibiza's famed dance-till-dawn club nights will be lacking many of the drugs that fuel them this summer: the Spanish police say they have made their biggest seizure of the stuff that makes ecstasy. The raw material for at least 200,000 ecstasy tablets was found on its way from Holland as...

By Guardian Newspapers, 7/29/2004

Ibiza's famed dance-till-dawn club nights will be lacking many of the drugs that fuel them this summer: the Spanish police say they have made their biggest seizure of the stuff that makes ecstasy.

The raw material for at least 200,000 ecstasy tablets was found on its way from Holland as the island filled up for the summer with clubbers from Britain and the rest of Europe.

Nine kilos of almost pure MDMA, the basic chemical ingredient of ecstasy tablets, was found being prepared for shipment in a house on the outskirts of Madrid.

Nine people from Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico and the US were arrested during Operation Garage, the police said.

"We have saved the lives of many young people," Antonio Camacho, the secretary of state for security, said.

The operation was preceded by the arrest in the past two weeks of a dozen drug dealers who were selling ecstasy in the San Antonio district of Ibiza, the haunt of many young British visitors, where the police had recently installed closed circuit television cameras.

Ibiza clubs such as Privilege, which is described as "the world's biggest club", Amnesia, Es Paradis, Eden, Pacha and Space attract thousands of young British clubbers during the summer, often with special nights hosted by British DJs or clubs.

Drugs are formally banned by most clubs but ecstasy is considered to be the Ibiza clubber's favourite drug.

The island's drug scene has been linked to the March 11 train bombings in Madrid, which killed 191 people.

The mainly Moroccan Islamist bombers who blew up four morning commuter trains financed their operations and the purchase of dynamite with drug money.

One of them was Jamal Ahmidan, a known drug trafficker who blew himself up, together with a police officer and six other radical Islamists, when they were surrounded by the police a few weeks after the attacks.

Ahmidan had travelled to Ibiza the week before the attacks, apparently to close a trafficking deal.

One of his contacts in Ibiza was recently arrested by the judge investigating the Madrid bombings.

The British magazine Mixmag, which is devoted to clubs and dance, reported in a recent edition that Ibiza was coming under pressure from underworld gangs.

"If you take drugs in Ibiza this summer, you deserve to know what your money is paying for," the article said.

"More club tourists means more gangsters to supply their drugs, more drug-related crime and more clubbers going to jail than ever."

Several years ago the British vice-consul on the island, Michael Birkett, resigned, claiming he was increasingly being forced to deal with British "degenerates".

An estimated half a million British people visit Ibiza every year.

Some of the local drug trade is reported to be in the hands of British groups.
Guardian Newspapers Limited
pasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2004 at 12:05
You can read into that what you want but one of the side effects of so many of us going to Ibiza on holiday is the hundreds of jobs on the Island for travelling Brits and Irish the clubbing idustry creates.

I worked a season as a rep in Ibiza (a good while ago now!) and found that you could quite easily avoid being drawn into the drugs scene but still had to deal with it. I would advise people thinking of going to think twice if they feel they are easily pressured. There is a lot of it around and people can be more tempted than usual into trying new things in a setting like Ibiza.

John Moores University carried out a study recently that found that a high percentage of 18- to 24-year-olds used drugs five or more times a week while in Ibiza.

But then its not all about that, there are loads of jobs you can get without going anywhere near this side of the island.
Andy View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2004 at 15:19
It is a shame that certain groups are taking advantage on tourism although, granted, not traditional tourism. Whilst taking drugs - let alone dealing/smiggling - is illegal, I do believe that the clubbers who flock to Ibiza every year buying the various substances are completely unaware that they are funding viscious groups of people who will utilise the ill-made cash for such horrendous crimes.

This said, it is surely not the recreational drug money generated from one island that is funding all of these crimes and, with the motives behind the crimes in mind, I think the money and the means will always be there...
Obviously View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obviously Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:18
I'd love to know exactly how many young people's lives the spanish authorities saved with their actions? I've heard of alcohol and over doses of drugs like heroin and cocaine killing people, but I haven't heard of any link between ecstacy and death... dehydration, rare heart problems maybe.

I don't support their actions, or any religion but regarding islamic fundamentalists capitalising on the stupidity of our laws (why not? they're "terrorists", they'll innovate to find loop holes in our laws). It is *US* who make the laws. And it is us who make international drug dealing so profitable. if all drugs were legal. quality would improve and much crime would disappear.
stacie View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 20:10
hi i was wondering about the club reppin jobs could you tell me about them please
chloe View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chloe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 20:42
hey everyone
me and my mate are going to work abroad for the summer next year, we are not too sure where to go yet, maybe one of the greek islands. we will both be 18 so its our first big adventure!
we just want some tips like when to book the flight.the best place to go? how do we go about getting a job ect... we are thinking of going in May time? please email me at chloe_s_03@yahoo.co.uk and let me know. thanks
chloe x x
Groover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2004 at 14:50
I have to say that is a good long while since I have been to Ibiza. I think it was like 95 or 96. But I visited and stayed with my mate Jody (anyone know her?)

Well anyway I wasn't working out there but used to go out with the workers all the time. I have to say every single one did pills at least once a week and up to maybe 5 times a week. I don't know any of the workers (who worked in the bars in san ant) that didn't....

Still it was 3 months of madness
jenren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 22:47
hey im just in the same shoes as the girls above (chloe and stacie)posting thier comments! i have left college for the year and feel i need to get away to say the least my little of city is drivin me mad! please recommend me a place 4 a good time and a good tan! also when ur workin away is thier a specific amount of time u have to be out there like all the summer season? do u need to know the language where u maybe reping? e-mail jenren !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic