FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking out money abroad...?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmp255 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmp255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking out money abroad...?!
    Posted: 25 October 2010 at 16:11
Hi all,

Im wondering what is the best way to take out money while I'm on my ski season in france?

I had heard nationwide were best but they have just announced they're changing their charges for taking out money abroad so its no longer free. I have had a look online and can't seem to find a bank that doesnt charge at least £2 everytime you make a withdrawal and there are usually additional costs for transfers and exchange rates etc too.

I'm assuming there isn't really any way around these charges but if anyone has done a season before and knows the cheapest way to budget and take out money then some advice would be greatly appriciated. I only get £70/week (which has to be paid into a uk bank account) but I want to try to live just off that while I'm out there....!

X
Bevan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 11:38
Hi,

It is possible to get by on the money. The best way I have figured to reduce it is to transfer money to one person each week say on a rotational basis and then they withdraw all the cash as a lump sum. Theres no point taking out 20 euros as and when you need it as it will cost you about 3 each time. Online banking is free for a transfer.

Alternativly save as much as you can and get it changed over here, let that tide you over for as long as possible and then withdraw another lump sum say 1/2 months later?
jmp255 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmp255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 21:21

Thanks! Smile will be taking ur advise bout taking a lump sum out (if I can afford it!) as I will have to pay for my ski pass before my company will reimburse me plus will probably find I've forgotten stuff and want to go out more to get to know the ppl I'll be working with and explore the area etc. Then will either take out money weekly or monthly depending on how gd I am at budgetting/how much I can save before I go seems like the best bet...

jmp255 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmp255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 23:35
Incase anyone else is still looking at how to take money out while ur away still  I have been looking at cash cards at money saving expert website (see below link):

and the caxtonfx card looks like a really good choice - is free to take money out and free to transfer money onto the card (which you can do through online banking) only slight downside is that you have to put on a minimum of 150 euros but part from that seems like one of the better options out ther...
alan r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 05:07
Try the Halifax Clarity credit card. Works out at about £1 charge per £100 withdrawn in cash, as long as you pay off the balance every month in full!!
Also means you can pay for stuff on the card, and don't have to carry cash everywhere.
MikesWilsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikesWilsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 06:03
Thanks for the information.

Edited by MikesWilsons - 18 November 2010 at 07:10
dave88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 21:37
How many ways do you know for taking out money abroad?

dave, 
GeorginaL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorginaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 13:47
Most seasonniares just use the ATM's and take out a decent amount to last when they do it, say E60-80 plus. Otherwise paying for shopping etc on the cards is usually cheaper than withdrawing cash, especially if you can get everyones shopping at once, and then get people to pay you back.
Gibbson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 08:21
I had the same problem on my business trip to one European country. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic