Print Page | Close Window

Bar work in playa del ingles

Printed From: Season Workers
Category: Summer jobs messageboard
Forum Name: Summer Resort Jobs
Forum Discription: Working, off to work or worked summer repping? General chat here...
URL: http://www.seasonworkers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1468
Printed Date: 12 August 2022 at 01:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bar work in playa del ingles
Posted By: sara g
Subject: Bar work in playa del ingles
Date Posted: 25 September 2006 at 09:58
Hey, Ive never worked abroad before but after visting gran canaria (playa del ingles) a few times and just spending some time in Zante (lags) Im really determined to just try it. Can anyone tell me if its reasonable to expect to turn up and find work in playa del ingles? Im hoping to be there in about four weeks time - any info/advice would be appreciated

x x x

Sara x

Replies:
Posted By: hayley26
Date Posted: 25 September 2006 at 19:08
Hey i jus got bk from playa de ingles about 2 weeks ago. I'm still in contact wiv sum of the reps over there so would ya like me to ask them 4 ya. Where bouts did u stay? x x x x x

Posted By: owlhead
Date Posted: 21 October 2006 at 14:34
hi

me and my boyfriend have both got back from Kos after my first season working abroad - loved it!
We dont fancy the ski resorts but dont wanna stay in this country either!

heard that gran canaria is still busy over the winter and that would be another option..... is this right?

we are not expecting to get jobs together, but whats the chances of getting jobs at all at this time of year?
we will be there early dec til mar / april if we go.

also is accomodation easy to find and how much is a month roughly?

if anyone has any info wud be much appreciated!
thanks!

Posted By: nikkipat
Date Posted: 13 November 2006 at 17:14

Hi.. i spent 3 months in tenerife in the summer working as a shot girl and loved every minute of it! now come home to give my liver abit of a break, but am looking to go away again in January with a mate. We'r thinking of coming to gran canaria, iv never bin here before so dont really no wot to expect. Is it quiet easy to get jobs and cheap accomadation over there? also are there a lot of bars/clubs or jus 1 or 2. ? ?

thanks would appreciate any halp or information.

Also are there any other good website/forums where i could speak to workers that are out there now or that have worked there before?

Nikki

Posted By: cubana
Date Posted: 20 November 2006 at 14:35
i lived in playa, had to come back for uni, my boyfriend and all my friends are still there, you're better off looking for work in all the irish bars they always want english workers, and if you need a cheap workers appartment let me know, i know of a few spare ones.
xx

Date Posted: 26 November 2006 at 18:33
hey cubana... thanks for this.... back to uni huh? glad im all done with that... worth it in the end tho!
still refusin to give up student antics... hence gran c in 9 days!

so for workers appartments where do we need to look? any names of places / people we can ask for? where are ur mates workin? from experience i think the irish bars are the best for us brit workers too, good laugh and good custs!
any info wud be great - good luck at uni... x

Posted By: heidibaltom
Date Posted: 14 December 2006 at 17:19
hi ya. I went to gran canaria in the summer and absolutly loved it.

I want to go to playa del ingles again but this time for the whole summer and work in one of the bars.

Has anyone any advice for me on how to go about this?

Thanks

-------------
From Me xxx

Posted By: cubana
Date Posted: 07 January 2007 at 15:38
hi, sorry, i havent had time to check the sites, you'll already be there now so my info will be useless, did u find work? i'm going back to playa in may cant wait. hope youre having a great time xxx

Posted By: louiseweeze
Date Posted: 07 January 2007 at 19:30
hi, same message as everyone one else really, need to get out of the country from une onwards b4 uni i dont realy mind where kavos, playa del ingles anywhere lively doin bar works prom,o. if anyone knows how i can get a jobs mayb b4 i go wud b greatfulxx

-------------
louise tutt

Date Posted: 08 January 2007 at 14:24
Hi,

I have just got back from Tenerife having flown to Gran C and found no work! We ferried it to Tenerife and found work but to be honest hated it.

The whole place was dirty, the roads were all being dug up so no customers could walk past the front of the bars etc making a PR's job v hard.

I spent the summer working in Kos and it was amazing, there was such a different atmosphere among the workers and it was a guaranteed 30 euro a night plus tips, my job and most others on the island came with accomodation paid.
I know that we were in the canaries in winter time and therefore it will not be anywhere near as busy, but 70 cent and 1euro a head with no basic wage is just ridiculous!
It also meant that the competition between the workers was a lot more intense and it wasnt fun it was a just another crap job in a foreign country.

I also found that the way of working was a lot different in gran c and tenerife, as a PR you would be working way away from your bar, so would be on your own for most of the time, and not outside your bar having a laugh with the other workers as u wud expect.

I honestly would advise anyone going abroad for the summer to work, to head to the Greek Islands - Kos especially, the place is so much nicer and the standard of living on a small worker wage is much better.

Obviously this is only my opinion based on a bad experience, and as long as you have fun and get what you want from the experience then I suppose luxuries arent too important. But I have spent 6 months working abroad, and did not find gran c or tenerife the best place to go esp for first time workers.

I hope this helps, I went with the impression it would be easier and much nicer than it was, based on comments from this and other forums, so without trying to offend, I wanted to offer my honest opinion for first timers who may not realise the down sides.
Well to end my moan, I hope it has helped someone to make a decision, as deciding where to go is hard enough.

And Good luck to anyone who gives it a go or is going back for summer seasons etc!

Posted By: carrie
Date Posted: 22 January 2007 at 16:50
hey guys, same story with me really wanna go sumwhere 4 the summer but havent done it b4 so dnt no where 2 start!cant find many jobs on the internet,hoping 2 get bar work or promotion work..if any1 else can help out or if theres other ppl lookin 4 sum1 2 travel with please let me no!cheers!

-------------
carrie xx

Posted By: Alex D
Date Posted: 26 January 2007 at 16:43
Hey all. im looking to go Playa in bout April time. Dunno if i should book a weeks holiday or just go straight out??

Anybody else going out on their own??

Posted By: chellie
Date Posted: 01 February 2007 at 21:52
am goin out to playa del ingles in june, went out there last year and loved it so am goin over to find a job, hopefully with the pdi pubcrawlers, has any one ever worked with them? if not gona try and find bar work, wats the accomodation like over there does anyone know, and how much is it about? i dont have a clue so am gona be so lost out there but cant pass up this opportunity. any info would be great

Posted By: beebopp
Date Posted: 12 March 2007 at 23:10
hey im planning on coming over to pdi in june time, hopefully to stay for the rest of the summer if all goes well! any1 know any cheap accomodation for workers over there?

Posted By: GemD85
Date Posted: 18 March 2007 at 15:55
Me and my friend are planning on leaving wales to come over in the last week of May! Anyone fancy sharing or givin us some information on accomodation!!

Thank you x

-------------
Gemma & Becki boo

Posted By: Alex D
Date Posted: 19 March 2007 at 16:50
Just got back from Playa, after a weeks holiday. Was proper good time. But was very full of scandinavians atm! Mainly went to Pasha, Chinawhites and Cream. Got a few contacts out there. So still deciding whether to go back in a month or so.

Anybody else going out roughly that time??

Posted By: Stephanie1
Date Posted: 29 March 2007 at 15:56
Anyone going to Gran Canaria to work for the season?

This is the best advice i can give.

No one will ever hire you for a bar job or cafe etc unless you are on the island to speak to them.

Go to all the bars pubs clubs with a printed cv and hand it out- it will get you known.

Ask locals and people who already work there- they have all the inside info.

Say you have experience- it doesnt matter if you do or not because the first bar till i ever learned to use was in spanish!

Also ask bar staff and workers if they know anyone looking for an apartment share- there is alot of people in the same boat.

Cheaper apartments are on the outskirts of cities.

Dont let anyone take your passport to the police station- its a visa thing to notify you are on the island. Take it yourself because if you come to blows with your employer youve lost your passport.

If anyone wants to ask me anything feel free.

Good Luck!

Steph xxx

-------------
steph

Posted By: lauralmay88
Date Posted: 01 April 2007 at 17:55
Me and my boyfriend are going to greece in may for work and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look out for or whatever. anything would help :) thankyou x

Posted By: lauralmay88
Date Posted: 01 April 2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by Alex D Alex D wrote:

Just got back from Playa, after a weeks holiday. Was proper good time. But was very full of scandinavians atm! Mainly went to Pasha, Chinawhites and Cream. Got a few contacts out there. So still deciding whether to go back in a month or so.

Anybody else going out roughly that time??

i went to playa last year and got thrown out of cream for apparently bottleing someone, i tried to explain but the doormen were having non of it and literally threw me out. it was the best holiday ive ever had but that part of it was a bit of a disappointment. i reckon that you should go out in may and go to the irish bars/irish centre, everyone is english/irish there and really really friendly! i had a wicked time in that part of the town!

Posted By: corrine91
Date Posted: 11 February 2014 at 10:00
can anyone help me on advise on how to get bar work/accommodation about gran canria? iv been there for a holiday and loved it. im looking to move out there for 6weeks with my partner but I will be the one working and he will be taking it as a holiday. so I need somewhere for us both to stay. I want bar work as that's what im experienced in. ideally I would like to have a place sorted and work before I went out there though?

Posted By: Zhara1980
Date Posted: 04 April 2018 at 16:39
Many of the things you can do in the beach of English, is that you can have a seasonal job, if you speak other languages it favors you and once you enjoy a paradise island, with a climate that favors all year.  http://blog.villagrancanaria.com/top-10-gran-canaria-vineyards/" rel="nofollow - vineyards in gran canaria

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk