Print Page | Close Window

Returning to the UK & claiming benefits or support

Printed From: Season Workers
Category: Season Workers general messageboard
Forum Name: VISA and work permissions forum
Forum Discription: Post your questions and answers here regarding work visa applications and the permission you need to work abroad
Printed Date: 09 April 2020 at 00:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 -

Topic: Returning to the UK & claiming benefits or support
Posted By: logicaldreamer
Subject: Returning to the UK & claiming benefits or support
Date Posted: 24 November 2014 at 16:49
Hey everyone, Just to make you aware as many are not.

The UK Government within the Department of Work & Pensions have changed the law in April 2014 around the Immigration Regulations.

If you have worked outside of the UK anywhere in Europe or outside of for any duration of time, you may have to wait 3 months after you have returned to the UK before you can claim any form of benefits such as Job-seekers Allowance or Housing Benefit even if you have been working for a UK company and paying UK Tax and NI, regardless if you are a British Citizen.

Make sure you are aware before you go abroad to work that the government in the UK may not support you after you return.

This is something employers are failing to tell new and existing employees.

Make sure you save enough money to support yourself for 3 months if you are unable to find a job upon return, I suggest going to the citizens advice bureau if you find yourself in the same situation as they may be able to give you advice.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 -
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. -