IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Please read before proceeding with your application.
- Please avoid submitting multiple applications - Only apply for the job you are most suited for. You will have the option to note interest in alternative roles during the application process.
- To work for Neilson, you MUST be over the age of 18 on or before the date you are available to start work.
- We are a UK-based company operating within the EU - To obtain the required legal documents to work for Neilson, you MUST hold a valid UK or EU passport. Alternatively, you must already have the legal right to work in either Greece, Italy, or Croatia.
Your primary focus as a qualified Swim Coach, will be to deliver an extensive range of swimming pool and open water-based lessons to guests of all ages and varying swimming abilities. You will go above and beyond to ensure that your lessons are always fun, engaging and a memorable holiday highlight.
While you are not teaching and as required by your line manager, you will also support the Lifeguard Team, taking responsibility for the safety and welfare of anyone using our pool facilities. You will also support the Children's Club Team while the kids are in and around our pools.
While supporting the Lifeguard Team around the pools, you must always remain alert and professional to monitor all pool area activities constantly. You will ensure that anyone using the pool follows the set rules and regulations, cautioning any swimmers against unsafe practices and deterring those causing a safety hazard to others.
In an emergency, you will jump to the rescue of anyone in danger. You must remain calm, manage the situation confidently and correctly administer any necessary First Aid.
You will interact well and deliver excellent customer service; however, the primary purpose of this role is to maintain a safe environment around the pool, foresee any dangers and prevent accidents.
Ideally, we're looking for full-season staff from April to early November. We will consider candidates with shorter availability dates, but operationally, those with a combination of the best dates and qualifications will always take preference.
Working for Neilson is more than a job; it's a lifestyle. Spend the summer season based in one of our beautiful beach club resorts, where it's all about sharing your passion for the activities you love. You'll be working hard, but the work is fun, and there's always plenty of time to play.
We're looking for friendly, energetic, and approachable people who can build rapport with ease. Individuals who can instil confidence that every element of a Neilson holiday is delivered by a team who cares.
Please note: All Neilson Active staff are DBS-checked.
Job Criteria & Responsibilities
- Deliver exceptional swim coaching sessions to our guests.
- Manage and deliver open water swim sessions.
- The ability to react quickly, calmly, and effectively in emergencies.
- Ensure the highest level of health and safety standards are followed.
- Develop positive working relationships with all departments.
- To maintain excellent customer service.
- Create a pool environment that is always safe for both staff and guests.
- Quickly report any maintenance and repair issues.
- Ensure the security of all Neilson pool equipment.
- Ensure that the appearance of the pool area always meets guest expectations.
- Liaise regularly with your line Manager to order any required spares and equipment.
- Ensuring a smooth daily set-up and pack-down.
- Proactively assisting all guests using the equipment around the pool.
- Work in line with your centre-specific operating procedures.
- Monitor all aspects of the pool operation for risk and update your line Manager as required.
- Promote and assist in delivering our ‘learn to swim’ group sessions and private swimming lessons.
- Assist the Fitness Instructors with any pool-based classes as required.
- Coordinate with all departments to support hosting social events and deliver briefings.
- Be prepared to move between resorts if required by the operational needs of the business.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in all duties as requested by your line manager.
- Airport transfers: As the first point of guest contact, you will ensure that your team is confident in consistently delivering excellent, personable, informative, and efficient airport transfers to and from the resort.
- To assist with coordinating the set-up of the beach and hotel at the start of the season and the pack down of the resort at the end of the season.
First Aid Certificate
A First Aid certificate is a prerequisite for ALL Neilson Active job roles. Your certificate MUST be valid for the duration of your contract, which we will validate as part of your onboarding process. At a minimum, your First Aid Course MUST be an attended full-day practical course.
We also encourage anyone working closely with children to consider obtaining their Paediatric First Aid at Work certificate; however, this is not an obligation for the job.
You can search for First Aid at work courses via the link below:
- Red Cross – https://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk
- St Johns Ambulance - https://www.sja.org.uk
Qualifications & Experience Required
- National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) or equivalent - (This must be valid for the duration of the contract).
- ASA/UKCC Level 2 in Teaching Aquatics, SEQ or equivalent is highly beneficial.
- Previous experience of working as a lifeguard is beneficial.
- Previous experience of working as a Swim Coach is beneficial.
- RYA powerboat level 2 is desirable.
- High level of personal fitness and swimming ability.
- Previous customer service experience is beneficial.
- An understanding that covers the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- Able to work using own initiative.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- A dynamic and flexible approach to adapting to weather conditions.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
- Flexible to work all the required hours to complete the job well.
- The ability to confidently hold a conversation and instruct in English.
- Please see the qualifications overview linked here: https://jobs.neilson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Qualification-Guidance.pdf
If you would like to gain the required qualifications for this job, please visit the website below:
Working for Neilson
There is so much to be gained from working anywhere within our programme. The people skills, the life skills, the confidence you'll develop, and the overall experience will stay with you forever. You’ll have the time of your life, you’ll make a bunch of new mates, you’ll enjoy mad adventures, and you’ll create stories you’ll be telling for years.
The package includes:
- Highly competitive salary.
- Shared accommodation is provided – No bills to stress about.
- Meals included - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner while on duty.
- Inclusive travel to and from resort.
- Any visa/permit requirements will be sorted for you (UK Passport holders).
- Full training, including E-learning packages.
- Progression via our jump up/Jump higher programmes.
- Your uniform is provided specific to your role.
- Days off & holidays.
- Mate's rates & family holiday discounts.
- Emergency medical & dental insurance (UK residents)*.
- Neilson Academy – Opportunities to obtain additional qualifications.
- Feel free to use the resort equipment in your spare time if it's available.
*EU residents are required to make separate insurance arrangements - The HR team will provide more details after a job is offered.
Neilson Active Holidays
Swim Coach & Lifeguard
Watersports centre jobs
Health & Safety, Swimming Coaching, Working with children
April – November
Up to £600 PCM gross + Shared accommodation + flights, meals + great overall package.