IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Please read before proceeding with your application.
- Please avoid submitting multiple applications - Only apply for the job you are most suited for. You will have the option to note interest in alternative roles during the application process.
- To work for Neilson, you MUST be over the age of 18 on or before the date you are available to start work.
- We are a UK-based company operating within the EU - To obtain the required legal documents to work for Neilson, you MUST hold a valid UK or EU passport. Alternatively, you must already have the legal right to work in either Greece, Italy, or Croatia.
As a vital member of our Beach Team, the Bosun is primarily responsible for maintaining and repairing active equipment across our programme. You'll need to match the requirements below, be motivated by a challenge and always be ready to deal with any problems as they arise.
In addition, you will also deliver training to the Beach Teams throughout the season to enhance the overall maintenance skills across the team, so excellent interpersonal skills will be essential.
We expect our team to go above and beyond to create an unforgettable holiday experience for our guests. When not fixing equipment or delivering training, you'll work in an instructor capacity to provide safe, fun, and engaging Dinghy Sailing and/or Windsurfing sessions.
You'll be capable of diagnosing/repairing various breakages and completing GRP (Glass Re-enforced Plastic) repairs on dinghy and windsurfing equipment.
Flexibility is essential in this role as you may be required to travel to various Beachclubs to provide support and maintenance training. We'll cover any additional travel expenses, accommodation, and meals.
Ideally, we're looking for full-season staff from April to early November. We will consider candidates with shorter availability dates, but operationally, those with a combination of the best dates and qualifications will always take preference.
Working for Neilson is more than a job; it's a lifestyle. Spend the summer season working at our beautiful beach club resorts, where it's all about sharing your passion for the activities you love. You'll be working hard, but the work is fun, and there's always plenty of time to play.
We're looking for friendly, energetic, and approachable people who can build rapport with ease. Individuals who can instil confidence that every element of a Neilson holiday is delivered by a team who cares.
Please note: All Neilson Active staff are DBS-checked.
Job Criteria & Responsibilities
- You'll take responsibility and support equipment maintenance and repairs.
- You'll ensure Neilson is adhering to the highest standards of health & safety.
- If required, to prolong the life of our kit, you'll step in to advise staff/guests on the most effective and safe use of the equipment.
- You will manage your time and tools efficiently to complete your tasks as required.
- You must be flexible with your time and put in the required hours to ensure that our equipment remains fully functional.
- You'll ensure our maintenance areas remain clean and tidy after use.
- Ensure that the appearance of the beach, the racks and the simulators always meet guest expectations.
- If your manager requires, you'll jump in and help deliver outstanding watersports instruction in line with the RYA syllabus and the Neilson programme.
- Assist in preparing, organising, delivering, and running activities on and off the water.
- Prepare suitable experience and ability-based sessions.
- To ensure the highest standard of health and safety is adhered to.
- To fully advise guests on the practical/safe use of all beach equipment.
- To organise/host social events and briefings.
- Be prepared to move between resorts if required by the operational needs of the business.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in all duties as requested by your line manager.
- Airport transfers - As the first point of guest contact, you'll be confident to consistently deliver excellent, personable, informative, and efficient airport transfers to and from the resort.
First Aid Requirements
A valid First Aid certificate is a prerequisite for ALL Neilson Active job roles. The First Aid certificate acquired with your Instructor qualifications is valid for three years, so please ensure that your First Aid is up to date.
If your First Aid has expired, you must identify a course that covers the RYA First Aid requirements via the RYA website linked below:
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) - Windsurfing or Dinghy Instructor qualification - (Including a Power Boat Level 2 certificate).
- Level 2 Award in COSHH Risk assessment or equivalent - (Desirable, but not required).
- Abrasive Wheels certification - (Desirable, but not required).
- Angle Grinder qualification or experience - (Desirable, but not required).
- Experience with all types of GRP/Gelcoat repairs.
- Knowledge of Dinghy and Windsurf spare parts.
- Previous customer service experience.
- A solid understanding and knowledge covering the use of watersports equipment and the associated safety procedures.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
- Flexible to work all the required hours with your team to get the job done well.
- Ability to deliver fun, engaging, safe and informative tuition.
- To be skilled in safety procedures and on-water rescue practice.
- Knowledge of the current Sailing/Windsurfing industry is desirable.
- Ability to assist your guests with rigging and de-rigging dinghy and windsurf kit.
- The ability to confidently hold a conversation and instruct in English.
- The ability to work well, independently, as part of a team, and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Please see the qualifications overview linked here: https://jobs.neilson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Qualification-Guidance.pdf
If you would like to gain the required qualifications for this job, please contact UKSA via the link below:
Working for Neilson
There is so much to be gained from working anywhere within our programme. The people skills, the life skills, the confidence you'll develop, and the overall experience will stay with you forever. You'll have the time of your life, you'll make a bunch of new mates, you'll enjoy mad adventures, and you'll create stories you'll be telling for years.
The package includes:
- Highly competitive salary
- Shared accommodation is provided – No bills to stress about.
- Meals included - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner while on duty.
- Inclusive travel to and from resort.
- Any visa/permit requirements will be sorted for you (UK Passport holders).
- Full training, including E-learning packages.
- Progression via our jump up/Jump higher programmes.
- Your uniform is provided specific to your role.
- Days off & holidays.
- Mate's rates & family holiday discounts.
- Emergency medical & dental insurance (UK residents)*.
- Neilson Academy – Opportunities to obtain additional qualifications.
- Feel free to use the resort equipment in your spare time if it's available.
*EU residents are required to make separate insurance arrangements - The HR team will provide more details after a job is offered.
Neilson Active Holidays
Bosun, Maintenance, Second Mate
April – November
Up to £730PCM + Shared accommodation, flights, meals + great overall package