(If you already have a work permit, and want to get involved, do get in touch. Book now for 2018/19 and 2019/20 and take advantage of our work permit advice.)
As an Outdoor Ranger, your days will be full and varied doing tasks all over the mountain. Expect to work 8-9 hours per day (averaging 30-40 hours per week) as you ensure that the Whistler Kids nursery slopes and adventure play areas like the Treefort and Magic Castle are animated, fun and are safe to use.
Your day will start with preparing the Snow School before the children arrive. This includes clearing snow and laying out equipment. Other tasks in the day may include moving fencing and equipment across the resort and looking after children.
The programme requires you to have a Canadian Working Holiday Permit (the IEC). We can assist in helping you apply for this. Permits are released at the beginning of each year.
Expect to earn a good wage of around $11 per hour (above the Canadian minimum wage and approx £6.50 per hour). Most participants find the wage enough to be able to live comfortably, have a great social life and even save money for when they have finished the programme.
Who would this job suit?
If you have experience of working with children, combined with being a good skier/boarder and, ideally have some outdoor/manual work experience, this would be the ideal job for you.
You will need to be either a confident skier or snowboarder for this job. You will need to be confident to ski/board whilst carrying equipment or escorting children down the mountain. With plenty of free time you should never get bored as there is plenty of terrain on offer to challenge even the most experienced amongst you.
Whistler Blackcomb really is a ‘work hard, play hard’ environment. Employers do expect a lot from their staff. So, after working hard and impressing your supervisors, they'll expect you to have the most amazing days off. With a season pass included with the job, there’s no excuse for not making the most of this awesome place!
What do I get for my money?
To participate in the programme there is a charge of £2525, this includes:
• Pre-arranged job as an Outdoor Ranger.
• Season ski pass (worth over £800).
• Guaranteed accommodation ready for your arrival.
• Interview and briefing (either face-to-face or over the phone).
• Pre Departure Briefing two months before you head toCanada(this takes place on Skype for those from overseas).
• Assistance with organising the Work Permit (extra fee of $250 payable to Canadian Immigration).
• Support from our Rep of 14 years in Whistler throughout your stay.
• Transfer from Vancouver.
• First night in Vancouver hostel.
• Help organising Social Insurance Number and Canadian Bank Account.
• Orientation course in Whistler.
• Monthly meals and activities with the Rep.
• Discounts in the village.
• ZipTrek tour during orientation