Often referred to as a 'Jack of all trades' role, as an Outdoor Ranger your days will be full and varied. Expect to work 8-9 hours per day (averaging 30-40 hours per week) and earn around $11 per hour as you ensure that the Whistler Kids adventure play areas are animated and fun, in a safe environment.
Your day will start with preparing the Snow School before the children arrive, clearing snow and laying out equipment. You will then be supervising the Tree Fort and Castle adventure play areas, as well as moving fencing and equipment across the resort.
One of the many perks of this job is that you will get a season long ski pass included with the job.
If the work sounds appealing then you can expect to earn a good wage of around $11 per hour (above the Canadian minimum wage and approx £6.50 per hour – correct at time of writing). Most participants find the wage enough to be able to live comfortably, have a great social life and even save money for when they have finished the programme.
Who would this job suit?
If you have experience of working with children, combined with being a good skier/boarder and, ideally have some outdoor/manual work experience, this would be the ideal job for you.
You will need to be either a confident skier or snowboarder for this job. You will be spending most of your day on the mountain and need to confident to ski/board whilst carrying equipment or escorting children down the mountain. With plenty of free time you should never get bored as there is plenty of terrain on offer to challenge even the most experienced amongst you. Whistler is a large world class Olympic resort – make the most of it by exploring everything it has to offer.
The philosophy in Whistler Blackcomb really is ‘work hard, play hard’ and the employers expect a lot from their staff. If you can turn up on time, work hard and impress your supervisors, they'll expect you to have the most amazing days off. Living and working right in the middle of Whistler Blackcomb means that you are in the centre of the action on your days off. With a season pass included with the job, there’s no excuse for not making the most of this awesome place!
The programme requires you to have a Canadian Working Holiday Permit (the IEC). We can assist in helping you apply for this. Permits are released at the beginning of each year. Permits for 2017 have almost run out. If you already have a work permit, and want to get involved, do get in touch.
The good news is that we are taking applications for the following seasons (2018/19 and 2019/20). Apply now to take advantage of our advice and support. The earlier you book, the greater chance you will have of securing the IEC Work Permit.
What do I get for my money?
To participate in the programme there is a charge of £2525, this includes:
• Pre-arranged job as an Outdoor Ranger before you leave home.
• Guaranteed accommodation ready for your arrival.
• Home country interview and briefing (either face-to-face or over the phone).
• Pre Departure Briefing two months before you head to Canada. For those based in the UK you will meet the group you are travelling with and also meet a senior manager from Whistler Kids that Oyster flies over (this takes place on Skype for those from overseas).
• Assistance with organising the Work Permit (extra fee of $250 payable to Canadian Immigration).
• Support from our rep of 14 years in Whistler throughout your stay.
• Airport pickup in Vancouver.
• First night in Vancouver hostel.
• Help organising Social Insurance Number and Canadian Bank Account.
• Once in Whistler you will receive an intensive orientation course that will tell you everything you need to know.
• Monthly meet-ups with the group and our rep in Whistler.
Working in Whistler for the ski season is an amazing experience. Not only is the social life great and the jobs fantastic but also the support and benefits that Whistler gives its employees are world class. Here are just some of the fantastic benefits that Oyster employees can make the most of:
• Season Ski Pass worth over £800.
• 50% off food at restaurants and 20% off of drinks in bars (excluding alcohol).
• Fantastic discounts off winter sports gear.
You spend 5 months in Whistler with all this and more for just £2525 (£3425 including flights). This is a comprehensive programme that guarantees you a job for the entire ski season, taking away all the hassle and risk from yourself.