Powder Byrne Ski GAP Season
Piste to Profession
The Ultimate GAP Year Experience
Powder Byrne International is proud to be market leader of the bespoke travel industry and has been providing individually tailored luxury ski holidays for over 25 years.
Powder Byrne has teamed up with the Swiss Ski School in Flims/Laax (Switzerland) to offer a unique Gap year experience. Alongside your ski instructor training you will also get the opportunity to gain first hand ski industry and tour operator experience with the most professional UK tour operator.
The resort of Flims / Laax is 1 ¾ hrs from Zurich, in the canton of Graubunden. The skiing goes up to 3000m at the top of the glacier with over 70% of the skiing above 2000m. The "Weisse Arena", which links Flims, Laax and Falera, is the second largest linked skiing area in Switzerland with some of the best guaranteed snow conditions in Europe and with its 220km of piste, parks and pipes can offer you the best imaginable winter season.
This is not a 12 week course but an opportunity to experience a full winter season' and get the complete GAP year experience with the top end of the holiday market.
You'll learn how to teach skiing, work towards a ski instructor qualification, work with children, gain a valuable insight into the ski tourism industry, experience a different culture, make a network of new life-long friends and have some fun at the same time!
You will report to the ski school for the majority of the season, where you will shadow professional instructors in a wide range of ski activities from instructing classes to avalanche awareness to ski patrolling. For 2 /3 weeks of the season you will gain valuable work experience by joining the PB team during the busy periods.
Further to this, you will experience a whole host of extra activities of which the mountain has to offer. This includes Ski touring, Snow shoeing, Ice climbing, Free riding, A trip to watch the Lauberhorn down hill and much more. There will also be opportunity to help out at the largest Snowboard event in Europe (The Laax Open).
Powder Byrne is dedicated to providing outstanding levels of customer service and we know that 'to be the best, we have to recruit the best'. We are therefore looking for high caliber, highly motivated individuals willing to provide the highest level of service for the ski school and for Powder Byrne.
The Gap Season will start in early December for professional Ski school and PB training returning home with the Powder Byrne full season team for the End of Season Party in April.
THE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- Accommodation - Self Catering.
- Flights to and from the UK
- Airport transfers
- Ski pass for Flims / Laax region
- Ski and boot rental
- Ski instructors uniform
- PB uniform
- Work Permits
- DBS check
- Personal Travel insurance - including winter sports
- Ski instructor insurance
- 1 week intensive general ski instructor's course at the beginning of the season
- 1 week specialist children's ski instructors' course at the beginning of the season
- Preparation for the Ski instructor's exam throughout the season
- Individual training containing video analysis throughout the season
- Freestyle course
- Introduction to free riding / avalanche awareness
- Introduction to ski touring / avalanche awareness
- Race Coaching
- Plenty of Free Ski opportunities
- Ski patrol shadowing
- Ski school shadowing- experience of teaching lessons, including taking sole charge of classes once trained
- BASI ski instructor Examinations / Registration and Certificates
Ski Industry experience:
- Ski Tour Operator training with the market leader, including modules in Customer Service, Childcare, Team Building
- Work experience with Powder Byrne - at least 2 weeks working alongside the Full season Resort Manager as a Peak Week member of the PB team
- Assisting with the "Laax" and "Freeski Open" - two of the largest Freestyle Mountain Events in Europe
- Ski rental experience, practical experience of a fully operational ski shire shop
- Ski instructor training and work experience with professional Swiss ski school instructors
- Opportunities for employment in the following ski season (Ski School / Powder Byrne / Ski Hire etc.) to suitable candidates
- German conversational lessons (optional)
- First Aid course
- Child Protection Module
- Local entertainment - e.g. hockey games / ski school meals out / ski races / parties / ice-climbing / BBQs.
- Food - Accommodation is self catering, in addition you will also receive a local ski instructors card providing discounted meals on the slopes
- A non-refundable deposit of £750 is required on signing of the contract and the final balance will be due 8 weeks prior to departure.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be a confident black run skier.
Applicants must attend an interview at Powder Byrne's head office in London.
If you are up for the challenge and believe you have what it takes then send CV, photo plus covering letter explaining in no more than 350 words why we would want you on the PB GAP team.